What's new
What's new

Cinncy Toolmaster feed crash

castiron

Cast Iron
Greetings
Sorry to say my Toolmaster went buy the stop and jammed and stripped out the feed gear.
Does any one know of a dealer that has parts for Toolmaster. 60 vintage
It is the gear that is driven off the motor to the screw that engages the gear on X axis..
There is a little gear next to it i think part of the same gear that stripped.
So looking for advice , junked gear box or the part.or drawing with the specs to build.
Any help would be appreciated i make a living with the darn thing:)
Part i believe is Key no.6JH-199B Gear drive reduction 60 cycle 152333 pub M-2318
mac campshure
[email protected]
airtightclamps.com

I can't help with the parts, but are you sure the table feed motor is running in the right direction?

I recall when I first wired my Toolmaster, the table feed motor ran with reversed rotation and the table feed lever missed the over travel stop dogs.

That is, when the table feed lever moves to the right, the table must feed to the right and vice versa.

If you watch the fixed over travel trip dogs closely, you'll see that they completely miss the table feed handle if & when the table feeds to the right when the handle is thrown to the left; ie: reversed feed motor rotation.

This may avoid another future mishap.

Mike

This thread brings back memories with one caviat. I bought my toolmaster with a blown gearbox, it was one of the reasons I got it so cheap. At any rate, my memory was that the engineers at Cincinnati were pretty darn clever and designed these things so that in a bind you more often than not would break the shaft prior to loosing the gear teeth. In my case I was able to turn down the gear on the lathe and remove what was left of the stub hanging out the other end as the shaft was a part of the gear. Then I just pressed in a new nubbing. The other pain in the butt thing about all of this is that you more or less loose a few of your bushings as there doesn't seem to be much of a good way to press them out once they are all in there. So about all you can do is drill some holes into the sides of them, tap them and make a strong back and pull them out.

If you have stripped out the gears here's another idea, rather then spending big bucks on trying to get just the right parts for your power feed, why not spend similar money and try to rig up something new? I am not a huge fan of the gear shift and really like a dial based power feed as I find I can really dial the speed in just right. The toolmaster is a good machine and well worth spending the money on. If I were in your shoes, I would be considering trying to figure out how to get one of the Bridgeport "Servo" style feeds to fit, or I would look around the following site Three Phase Electric Motors, Pump Motor, Variable Frequency Drive, AC Motor Drives, Marathon, Teco Westinghouse Dealer for a motor VFD Combination and try to design my own little custom feed, the toolmaster as is was using 1/4HP feed motors, so it is quite possible the Servo style's will be far too wimpy. The Toolmaster is a great machine and well worth investing a little money in in my mind, I just would recommend if you have truly busted beyond repair gears that you consider stepping into something a little more recent technologically speaking and go with something with a variable speed motor as opposed to a gearbox.

Hi Adam thanks for the thoughtful reply. I have thought about this quite as bit over the years. I have two Toolmasters and the 65 I use for boring mostly. So I could swap drives but it is 220 and the broken drive is 550.
You are right on in your comments about removal I am thinking I will tap the plug to pull and than do the same to the shaft and with a lot of luck my get out without damage. It is one fitting that doesn't leek!!! If you know what I mean. If all that works I will probably buy the part and be done with it for the moment. The y feed motor has been rewound and will swap with x and put a frequency drive on x which I use 80 percent of time and would like a rid return. What I would like to spend some time on is a knee drive I have it designed and have all the parts. Built around a Nord gear drive that I can easily free wheel so no clutch needed and a cog drive and vfd.
The broken unit is a 1E 1963 and I use the gear head almost exclusively. The universal end doesn't have enough power for what I do, I removed one half of the head so only tilts right to left, the other is a universal with slotter
and riser with squared ram 1965.

Last edited:
Picking this thread up late.
While it's not my intent to pirate the thread...
I'm looking for a vintage PF for my Cincy Toolmaster.
While I encourage you to repair her, should you decide to update, I'd like to buy the broken PF.
Similarly, I'd purchase any ailing/functional vintage Cincy PF.
Ideally, 1956 era.

Daryl
MN

Back