What's new
What's new

Citizen F12 w/ Fanuc System 3T: "Not Ready" Issue

WazMan

Plastic
Hello PM community,
My old 1983 Citizen Cincom F12 went off-line recently and I am seeking help from people like myself who are big fans of this machine.
[Please pardon me as I know my issue description will be a bit "wordy".]
In the past couple years my machine has run without issue for several hundred hours, but the other day upon power up drew a:
"SYSYEM ALARM: NO.3", "PROGRAM MEMORY: PARITY HIGH" message, and the servos and hydraulics do not come on. With a little research I tried the suggested fixes of:
1) Depress "Power On" button while depressing the "Delete key only". [Worked for someone - erased only all their programs - did nothing for me.]
2) Depress "Power On" while holding in "Cancel and Delete keys". [No change.]
and finally,
3) Depress "Power On" while holding "Delete and Reset keys" with the "Parameter Switch" inside the cabinet set to "On".
This of course cleared all my programs, parameters (of which I have copies), and offsets, and left me with a new screen showing: "ALARM MESSAGE" (with no alarm number and the red "N/C Alarm" button on the operator's panel NOT lit.), and with the words "NOT READY" message flashing - but otherwise no change.
I removed the cover under the #1 turret in order to hold the switches open while powering up as was also suggested... no success. (This was meant to be a fix if the red N/C Alarm button had been on and flashing... but I'm trying anything and everything I can at this point.)
I did find and replace a small green 1amp fuse that had blown (located amongst the relays inside the operators control panel), but still no luck.

In one post someone stated that if the above mentioned reset methods where unsuccessful, the problem could be: 1) A Memory Problem; 2) A Master PCB issue; or 3) The Power Supply (in which they noted to check the power supply voltages, especially the 5VDC).
Although I'd worked on this exact series of machine way back when they were new, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to their circuitry and how to diagnose electrical problems.

From past experience I know how helpful and knowledgeable "Practical Machinist" members can be... any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Resized_20220701_173858[1].jpeg
    Resized_20220701_173858[1].jpeg
    761.4 KB · Views: 6
Until you have reloaded all the CNC and Diagnostic (PMC parameters on 3 series controls) parameters, you will have the NOT READY alarm. If you still get that alarm after reloading then let us know.

Thank you for your reply. I did try re-inputting parameters the other day but without success. I searched past posts on how to input parameters on a 3T, and found an old post from 2019, where you and others were assisting someone in re-inputting parameters on a 3T: Citizen F16.
This evening I'm going to try to use the information you gave him and will post my results. There was some talk of the "e-stop" in or out while inputting that I hadn't tried. I'm not sure if my monitor displays while the e-stop is in, but I believe you stated it shouldn't matter. Thanks again!

No, I haven't been successful in reloading the parameters. I've been following instructions that I've found on the forums - some that seem to contradict each other. I must be missing something - maybe you could walk me through it step by step. (I've read in your past posts that it has been many years since you'd worked on a 3T... so thank you for your assistance.)
Just as a note: My screen "Is Not" on or visible when the e-stop is in. I can use the "Q/P" key to call out a (4) digit parameter number, but once it jumps to that specific parameter number, the "No." prompt just flashes and does not allow me to input more than (4) digits. I've read that the hydraulics can't be on without parameter information, but I have a friend that owns an old 1982 Citizen F16 who swears he "couldn't" input parameters into his machine until he got the hydraulics to turn on. His machine was in the same state as mine (i.e.- no hydraulics or servo noise). He attempted many and multiple assorted "Keypad/Power On" combinations - at one point his hydraulics came back on and he immediately knew, and was able, to reload his parameters. [We think this may be an "age" specific thing with Citizens(?).] Unfortunately he does not recall the sequence or series of keys he depressed, as he wasn't even sure at the time what he did.
Please advise. Thank you.

Back