What's new
What's new

Clausing 12” by 36” lathe with DRO and lots of tooling for sale.

I just quoted a single 350lb pallet LTL and got responses from $350-$650 for the 600 mile trip. I would budget about $2k to ship this from NH to TX. I wouldn't be surprised if it was $2500. It will fit on a double size pallet, but the pallet needs to be sturdy. Preferably steel reinforced and boxed. Pallet alone could cost $500.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good/OK long haulers are guys who haul farm tractors. A small lathe like this would be an easy haul.

QT Op:{This is my Clausing 5449 that I have owned for many years.]
One of the best recommendations because all issues are known..not like buying from a guy flipping a machine he has fired up for 5 minutes/or not at all.

Just to let people know if you ship via OTR normal box semi-truck they have introduce extra fees for oversize loads. Up to a $1000 per crate. So make sure you the exact size for your quote if you use that type of carrier. I do like the lathe.

If it is boxed and tarped, may be able to hot shot it on a flat bed. I just wish it were closer cause it would be mine already.

I just quoted a single 350lb pallet LTL and got responses from $350-$650 for the 600 mile trip. I would budget about $2k to shop this from NH to TX. I wouldn't be surprised if it was $2500. It will fit on a double size pallet, but the pallet needs to be sturdy. Preferably steel reinforced and boxed. Pallet alone could cost $500.

For that kind of money I could fly out, rent a U-Haul and drive it back myself. Holy cow.

Don't misunderstand, I am not saying that you're wrong... but if you're right, I would have to move it myself.

I'm still toying with driving up over the holidays. 1260 miles each way.

Attached is a pic of how i moved the mill i recently purchased. But it only had to travel 50 miles on a sunny afternoon.

587bfd7a6c1ea34be5c06464cdb3f7f8.jpg

QT Op:{This is my Clausing 5449 that I have owned for many years.]
One of the best recommendations because all issues are known..not like buying from a guy flipping a machine he has fired up for 5 minutes/or not at all.

I looked up the records, I bought it in 1998. 23 years!

@mr cnc guy What is the approximate weight of the lathe, and do you a means to load to a low deck 10.4k equipment trailer?

THANK YOU!!!! Whew, i was beginning to worry that i may have to explain a 4 day absence to my wife!!!!

Was it the Craigslist caller?

I'm still toying with driving up over the holidays. 1260 miles each way.

Attached is a pic of how i moved the mill i recently purchased. But it only had to travel 50 miles on a sunny afternoon.

587bfd7a6c1ea34be5c06464cdb3f7f8.jpg

Your lucky the straps made it that far on a sharp edge!

Another thing on the straps, you would have been better off going over the top of the ram creating an x pattern than going around the top of the column......when you use the straps that way, the ratchet side is tighter than the other side, it will cause the machine to wiggle until the force is equal!

Kevin

Straps are used as chokers at top of mill. They were to limit tip only. Base was chained and boomers were still tight at end of trip. The edge of table was chamfered, but i should have padded it. Thanks for noticing.

^^^ grab yourself some carpet strips. protect the machine from chains, and your straps from the machine^^^^

If not for yourself, do it for the machine.

Thanks, great idea. But this machine is in place in the shop, the next move will not be by me. I'll keep that in mind for next piece of equipment i purchase.

Understood it's already home, but it's bearing the scars of being chained..... Better hope it doesn't want reparations for itself, or future generations.....

This is my Clausing 5449 that I have owned for many years. It has a 1 ½ HP motor that uses a vari-drive to the spindle. It comes with a 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw chuck, and a 5C collet system. Also a flat plate and a dog plate. I have an Armstrong (Aloris style) tool post with a bunch of tool holders. I also have the old style lantern tool post. I will include lots of cutting tools.

The motor is 3 phase but I will include a VFD drive so you only need 240 volts single phase to run this lathe. This is a clutch lathe. With the lever you can start and stop the spindle rapidly without stopping the motor. A great feature. I have the manuals for the Clausing lathe and the Sony DRO.

The lathe has a Sony magnescale DRO with 0.0001” resolution on the cross slide. The sadle resolution is 0.001”

You can come and see it run.

* Clausing 5449 lathe 12” swing with 36” between centers, L00 spindle taper.
* Sony Magnescale DRO.
* Armstrong (Aloris style) toolpost with 8 tool holders.
* 11” flat plate
* 4 jaw chuck 10”
* 3 jaw chuck 6 ½”
* 10” fixture plate
* Dog plate.
* 5C collet closer and nose piece.
* Lantern tool post.
* Morse taper centers #3.

Asking $2,500.

View attachment 336064

View attachment 336063

View attachment 336061