What's new
What's new

Clausing 5917 collet chuck

Penis wilson

Plastic
Hey guys, I am looking for a 5c collet chuck for my clausing 5917 lathe I am looking for suggestions. Also do they sell collet chucks that are already threaded on the back to fit directly onto the lathe?? Or will I need to mount it to a faceplate? I have a few faceplates that came with the lathe. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

- mr Wilson

Hey guys, I am looking for a 5c collet chuck for my clausing 5917 lathe I am looking for suggestions. Also do they sell collet chucks that are already threaded on the back to fit directly onto the lathe?? Or will I need to mount it to a faceplate? I have a few faceplates that came with the lathe. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Clausing 5900-series lathes came with a Royal 5C collet holder/closer. It's a multi-part system which can be installed in the field. One needs the correct length draw tube. These collet closers come up on eBay from time to time. Used-machinery dealer will also have them.

What spindle does it have. I have a Sjogren 5c collet chuck for an L0 spindle. Price is $400.

4bb1fb7014a774d39bde78a510204a1e.jpg
290bb8a6148ec09aede32513de450d13.jpg
5e397bf9c6ceaae7d73755061660c080.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

5900 series is L00. Mine has a collet adapter that fits the internal spindle taper (#4-1/2); collets are tightened with a drawbar. There’s a nose protector that attaches to the external taper.

I have had a Clausing 5914 lathe since 1985. It came with the Royal lever collet closer and 5C adapter that fits in the spindle internal taper. The spindle ID is large enough to allow a 5C draw bar, a feature that some 12" lathes lack.

I also have a Pratt Burnerd KC15 collet chuck and collet set with 1.5" capacity that fits on the L00 spindle that I got soon after the lathe. The extra capacity (over 5C) allowed one paying job that paid for the chuck. Much more recently, I mounted a Sjogren 2J handwheel collet chuck with 1.38" capacity on an L00 adapter. Then I mounted a Pratt Burnerd KC25 collet chuck with 2.5" capacity on an L00 adapter. I got the collets for both those chucks many years before I got the chucks and mounted them. These were all used chucks and it took years to find them and their collets. They cost thousands to buy new decades ago and more now if still available, so I had to wait as long as it took to find them at prices I could afford.

All three of my collet chucks hang off the spindle nose, so they sacrifice some rigidity and length to the tailstock or turret, but they are very accurate and great for large precision work. The 5C adapter inside the spindle is short and much preferred for both smaller and production work.

I have a Jacobs 900 Rubberflex lever-actuated chuck, but have never adapted the lever linkage to the lathe.

At one time, I had a spare 5C sleeve and ejecting collar for the Clausing. I can't recall if I still have them.

Larry

I have a 1960's Clausing 5914 that included the Royal collet closer with a lever arm. If I were buying a replacement I'd want another closer with the lever arm as it speeds up work stock change-out a great deal compared to the closers with manually operated draw bars.

I have a Jacobs collet chuck with L-00 spindle mount in good shape that is no longer needed and that would come with a full set of good collets. PM me or reply here if that would be of interest to you. The collets cover the full range between 1/16" and 1-3/8".

I have had a Clausing 5914 lathe since 1985. It came with the Royal lever collet closer and 5C adapter that fits in the spindle internal taper. The spindle ID is large enough to allow a 5C draw bar, a feature that some 12" lathes lack....

At one time, I had a spare 5C sleeve and ejecting collar for the Clausing. I can't recall if I still have them.

Larry

I found the spare 5C sleeve and ejecting collar today. It is for sale if anyone is interested.

Larry

Back