What's new
What's new

Clausing 6300 worth it?

Afk

Plastic
Hello all, first post here, but I happened to stumble on an offer for a clausing 6300 for $400. The machine is definitely in need of some clean up, but looks doable. I am just curious if it’s worth the time and effort?

It’s been a while since I used a lathe and I was thinking of buying an import bench lathe for $2000. When I came on to this offer, it seemed like I would get much more machine for a much lower price.

I love my Clausing 4900, I would take it over an import any day. Sort of like comparing an old 70s Chevy truck to a 70s Toyota.
I haven’t cleaned up/restored a lathe…or any other vintage machinery, am I already way in over my head? $400 for this or $2500 for a precision Matthews import.

Here is a pic of it. It’s covered in dust. I didn’t have anything to remove dust so I left it be.

Attachments

• 845F43BF-2F14-425F-AC9E-1775454304F9.jpeg
    845F43BF-2F14-425F-AC9E-1775454304F9.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 91
Not 100% sure of everything, but I think some collets and a chuck, not sure if it’s a 3 or 4 jaw.

Horizontal mill or does it have the vertical head? Sounds like estate sale pricing, and they are priced to move. Do you have a pic of the Heald?
It’s from a neighbor of the in-laws. I chat with him all the time about projects and he offered both up. I don’t have a good picture of the heald, but I think it’s a vertical head. I didn’t see a name plate that was easily accessible or able to take a good pic since it was wrapped under plastic. You can see it in the background of the lathe picture.

Attachments

• 0D7DFB41-CAEC-43A8-8CF1-687EBC1A895F.jpeg
    0D7DFB41-CAEC-43A8-8CF1-687EBC1A895F.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 39
Sounds to me like he is offering a very fair deal, if you have a need for them, or a desire to learn.
Lathe was on my list, getting a mill seemed it was like it was unobtainable for space and budget. But for $400 I feel like it should try to make it all work. I just don’t know what kind of tooling. My research says that it’s either #9 b&s or 40 nmtb…those are foreign terms to me. Is there a way to tell easily? Is one better than the other? Are either one hard to find tooling for?

AFK:

I recommend that you stop sitting on the fence and buy both of them ASAP before someone else does.

Re: The Heald - B&S taper tooling is no longer common but can be found. NMTB (National Machine Tool Builders) taper tooling is very common on the used market.

Getting it home: U-haul open-top trailer. Alternately, any flat deck trailer of sufficient capacity. Trailers are generally easier to load and unload by non-mechanized means because the decks are lower and they can be carefully tipped.

Alternates: A roll-back flatbed can winch up a skid-mounted machine.

I moved a 13" lathe by jacking up one end at a time and building a skid underneath. ( I put heavy-duty casters on the skid, which in retrospect was a mistake because it raised the center of gravity. No harm done, but raising the C/G is never a great idea. )

The decision to buy: You're looking at a deal the likes of which you may never see again!

One of the world's foremost tool collectors once remarked to me that NON-buyer's remorse is far more painful than buyer's remorse. If, after this purchase, you decide that these machines are, after all, not for you, you can sell them off and recoup all or most of your money. If you don't buy them, you aren't likely to ever see such machines at such an affordable price.

John Ruth
Who can describe in painful detail tool- and machine-buying opportunities that he passed up decades ago. Still stings!

So I committed to buying the lathe (yay!).

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, but on the Heald, i need to find out if it’s 9 B&S or 40 nmbt. Is one preferred over the other? Which one is better easier to get tooling for? In other words, and I SOL finding tooling?

So I committed to buying the lathe (yay!).

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here, but on the Heald, i need to find out if it’s 9 B&S or 40 nmbt. Is one preferred over the other? Which one is better easier to get tooling for? In other words, and I SOL finding tooling?
40 taper will be easier to find and use, but B&S can be found. No longer in common use, but was once the standard on thousands of machines.

40 taper is the business- fantastic if that is the mill's spindle bore. NMTB 40 is all over the place and its likely you can also use CAT40- there are others also, but will depend on the drive keys and drawbar- but there's plenty of NMTB out there in any case.

#9 B&S is scarcer, but you'd likely be well served to track down a B&S collet and mount an ER32 collet chuck more or less permanently. Ebay is your friend for B&S tooling.

The comments about non-buyer's remorse are right on. 17yrs ago in December I passed up a maintained 14" Pacemaker w/ DRO and a gaylord box of tooling; 6 and 4 jaw chucks etc- all for about $1k. Still kicking myself though heaven knows how I would have fit it in the shop.. my current lathe is smaller and still is a snug fit.

Last edited:
Congratulations in the 6300. I have one too. Its a great light duty lathe. It is about the largest lathe one person can take apart and move alone. When I say one person, I mean a large pretty strong guy. I used to be one of those types when I bought mine 15 years ago. First I took the head stock off. The trick with that is that there is a hidden taper pin that aligns the head stock to the ways, so don't lose it. The lead screw comes off next, then you can slide the apron off. The ways were too heavy to lift all at once so I built up two stacks of cribbing, slid one side off its base on to one stack of cribbing, then slid the other side off onto the other cribbing stack. Then slowly removed the cribbing one layer at a time alternating side to side until I got the ways low enough to sit on a dolley. With two guys every piece is easy to move in the back of an SUV, truck, or small trailer. It could be moved all in one piece, but is extremely top heavy and will easily fall over. There is no margin for error if you try to move it in one piece.

Back