What's new
What's new

Clausing Colchester / Allen drill press / Dake press

cochran540

Plastic
I have a few machines that I purchased from Schneider Electric auction earlier this year that I am not going to need.

I bought this Clausing Colchester along with a 10ee, and decided that there is no reason to keep it with having the 10ee. It is set up with a turret, no tailstock. The turret seems to work and function as it should. Cross slide, compound and carriage all move as they should, though they are dirty and need some cleanup etc.
The listing from Schneider listed it as a 1978, but its weird because there is a Tools Inc. plate that lists it as a 9/69 machine serial number 367781. I don't know what that means. 5c Collet spindle works good. I have it wired up for 3phase 460, just put a new plug on it and have had it under power, gears all work, shifts in and out nicely. I am happy to provide a video with it under power if needed. I also have a bunch of drawers full of what I believe to be turret tooling and items for this lathe that I would include with it. Photos included. Would like to get $2500.00 for lathe and tooling. FOB Berryville VA 22611. We are happy to palletize and load for LTL freight etc, buyer pays the rate.

Chas. G Allen Drill press - I believe this is what they call a sensitive drill. 2 HP 460/3phase. 1150 rpm. this thing is ENORMOUS .. that's the only reason I am not keeping it. It has a super heavy duty mill table that rivals what you would see on a vertical mill for sure. It is insanely heavy and its so tall it seems like you would need a step stool to operate it. $1000.00

Dake 201 Arbor Press - I believe this is the 2.5 ton model, on a stand. Very heavy duty as well, operates smoothly.

photos here- 302 Moved
let me know if you have any questions.

Again - we can palletize and LTL ship any of these items, together or individually. Buyer pays freight. Thanks!

The 69 date on the lathe is most likely correct. The 78 models look nothing like that. It is probably the model that preceded the later ones , don't know what year they changed.

Sorry about the link, I could swear that I checked it before and all photos were there, but it looks like I added some of them twice and some of them not at all. Should be fixed now.

The machines came out of Schneider Electric plant in Foxboro MA where it seems like they spent their whole life. Schneider had a massive auction at the beginning of the year and I was able to outfit a small machinery repair shop from the things I bought for a good price, but ended up with tons of items we won't need or use and a lot that I don't even know what it is!

If anyone is interested in any of these items, please make me an offer, I need to clear them out of the shop soon if possible. Next stop eBay.
thanks!

Will the lathe run on 240 volt (without a transformer)? I assume you don't have 3 or 4 jaw chucks? If no chucks, 460 volt only, and without a tailstock, for me those are issues, unless the price was significantly lower.

That appears a fully tooled ram-type turret lathe, tooling for days. Ready to run 1st or 2nd ops, bar fed or otherwise. Lack of jawed chucks is no issue, it's long taper. 2,3,4 jaw chucks almost grow on trees, 6 only slightly more rare. Nor would it be first in history to hang a face plate and fixture items to accomplish secondary work. It doesn't need to outrun CNC, it's not $1,200.00 monthly payments. I'd value the bare machine and turret about that, the tooling by lot certainly higher, individually, over the moon.
Cost and price are just as connected as they aren't, where it is, where it's going, who has it, who wants it; just for starters.

The Allen [or comparable] with a X-Y table isn't just a drill press, it's a layout drill. A few steps below milling machine and jig bore, but often used in lieu of jigs and fixtures; and therefore surprisingly efficient on short run jobs.

Often a ratchet arbor press goes for what ever reasonable price is given. Guys have a thing for them, me included. Second only to band saws.

I'd be on the way for all 3, if their kin weren't already here, in place.

That appears a fully tooled ram-type turret lathe, tooling for days. Ready to run 1st or 2nd ops, bar fed or otherwise. Lack of jawed chucks is no issue, it's long taper. 2,3,4 jaw chucks almost grow on trees, 6 only slightly more rare. Nor would it be first in history to hang a face plate and fixture items to accomplish secondary work. It doesn't need to outrun CNC, it's not $1,200.00 monthly payments. I'd value the bare machine and turret about that, the tooling by lot certainly higher, individually, over the moon.
Cost and price are just as connected as they aren't, where it is, where it's going, who has it, who wants it; just for starters.

The Allen [or comparable] with a X-Y table isn't just a drill press, it's a layout drill. A few steps below milling machine and jig bore, but often used in lieu of jigs and fixtures; and therefore surprisingly efficient on short run jobs.

Often a ratchet arbor press goes for what ever reasonable price is given. Guys have a thing for them, me included. Second only to band saws.

I'd be on the way for all 3, if their kin weren't already here, in place.

For someone doing production work tou may be right. For me, machining is a hobby. Chucks may grow on trees, but decent ones are not cheap. I have some interest in that lathe because the size is right and its less than 4 hours from me. But its probably not the right lathe for me due its configuration.

Sorry - I have not been paying attention to the forum for the last few days.

I believe the lathe can be hooked up 230 3phase, but is currently hooked up 460 3phase. I think the press just sold. Someone did come and buy a bunch of the tooling, but a lot of the turret tooling is still here.

Feel free to make an offer on lathe or drill press.

thank you!

Back