What's new
What's new

Clausing/Colchester Storm 100 Duplomatic turret problem

Holke F11V

Plastic
Hi all,

I've picked up a used Clausing Colchester Storm 100 and have an issue with the Duplomatic BC 216 hydraulic turret. It will index then throw a 1018 Turret too slow alarm. I can quickly index it again after a reset but if it sits for more than 5 sec it throws the same alarm. Does anyone have experience with these? I have searched but only come up with posts on the larger storm lathes with the different turret. Thanks in advance.

I have a storm 80 and had the same problem.
This may be your problem not sure.
I found that the seal around the turret had swelled up and slowed the turret down and it gave me the same alarm.

To check it this is the problem unclamp the turret and cut the machine off you should be able to turn the turret with two hands.
you have to be the judge if its to tight or not.

If it is to tight take the turret off and the cover plate.I took mine and but it in my manual
lathe and shaved a little off the lip of the seal DO NOT TAKE THE SEAL OUT OF ITS HOUSING. IT WON'T GO BACK IN.
and a new one cost $500 .

Thanks for the replies. So I pulled off the turret and front seal housing and took off a little from the large front seal several times. I cant take off anymore from the seal. Now this does not make much sense but I did rotate the turret with the complete front seal housing off and could index the turret without any errors. But with the seal housing on the turret is still alarming out 1018 "turret too slow" but it will freely index using the turret index button for about 1/4 of the rotation then I have to reset the alarm. This turret is the hyd. driven unit and it seems most had the electric driven version. Other than the 3 solenoids there is an encoder and proximity switch which when watching the turret index I don't understand what it is detecting as nothing seems to get close. Any other thoughts? The manual does not give much breakdown of the hydraulic controls on the turret.

Is the pressure sufficient? Did you check the fluid levels? Take a line off and see what the flow looks like and no air in the lines?

Sorry for the slow update but I seem to have gotten this machine up and running. Definitely a learning curve but I got some extra tools in the knowledge database for sure. First thing was the hyd. filter which was pretty nasty so I dealt with that and I believe it helped to some degree. I got ahold of Macoser who is the dealer for Duplomatic but they were of no help. Fortunately Clausing (600 group) had absolutely fantastic service. The service guy that answered the phone pointed me in the right direction within minutes and provided manuals and notes to guide me along. The problem seemed to be the lock position proximity switch which for the moment I adjusted down to pickup the signal that the the lock gear is in place. Before I had gotten to this point I had removed the encoder which then needed to be reset. This was not bad with the bit chart that they provided and watching the diagnostic tab on the machine to get everything aligned. I appreciate the help here as well and hopefully this may help someone else in the future.

Back