What's new
What's new

Clausing Colchester VS13 spindle bearing??

muley

Aluminum
Hello All it has been a while.
I was what I consider lucky I am picking up a Clausing Colchester VS13 (Clausing Colchester 3100 Student)was looking to source headstock bearings for it in the future. Current bearings are Gamet B336-1308 rear and B336-1219 front. According to the parts list. Would any of you swell guys out there have looked up the cross over part numbers for these bearings with like SKF or NKG or another supplier? Gamets are very good and they are very proud of their bearings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been trying on the WWW but still looking.

THANKS

rklopp

Diamond
I am not aware Gamet spindle bearings cross-reference to any other manufacturer. They are fairly unique. Are you sure you need new ones? My 1963 Colchester is still on the originals. They are a little noisy, but adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john.k

Diamond
True,no direct crossovers........Now ,if the lathe is otherwise perfect ,I suggest Gamets .....they really do have ZERO runout.......However ,if you have been given a junker,and want a bucks down repair,the gamets can usually be replaced by standard sizes....With a bit of imagination........now here is a warning....IF you pull a Gamet apart,and do not replace the rollers in the same order as before ,it will have similar runout to a standard bearing about half a thou.

boslab

Titanium
There’s a Colchester video on YouTube, they show the roller assembly, interesting, Colchester, Harrison and gammet is all the same company, 600 group
Mark

john.k

Diamond
Id dont know if it is still 600....they had a rough patch some years ago when they bought a truck crane maker to replace Hiab.....anyway,Gamet bearings are now made in China....and apparently lotsa Chinese lathes use them.