What's new
What's new

Clausing drill spindle rpm reduction

The Extractor

Cast Iron
Hi all, we have a nice clausing variable drill press at work but the spindle is too fast at the lowest setting. It is a 115v 3/4 Hp motor 1 phase 1725 rpm baldor motor. Is there a speed control or vfd I can install to slow it down more?

Specifically, that kind of motor does not like it. Some other types are OK with at least a limited range of change. Also some applications are better than others for speed changes.

Fans are easy, drill presses not as much. Even if it worked fine, the DP would have a serious power reduction from the motor speed reduction. The fan required power also drops with speed, so in that case it is a match. The DP wants the same power at a lower speed, which is not available with a motor speed reduction.

Changing the pulley avoids that problem, multiplying torque, and maintaining power.

Hi all, we have a nice clausing variable drill press at work but the spindle is too fast at the lowest setting. It is a 115v 3/4 Hp motor 1 phase 1725 rpm baldor motor. Is there a speed control or vfd I can install to slow it down more?
I actually have the 3-phase version of your motor - Baldor/Clausing 3/4HP. Looks new. If you decide to go that way I'd sell it. That and a Teco 50 VFD and you are good.

Assuming it only has 2 pulleys, add a third for extra gear reduction.(in between pulleys) I converted one years ago with a larger chuck and it worked a treat. Dropped the low speed to a very usable range. This seems to be an issue with a number of 110v drill presses.

It didn't hurt that I had a number of 5 sheave pulleys laying around to mount on a plate. Allow the plate to swing off a pivot for proper tightening. I think I also flipped one of the original pulleys for correct geometry.

Good luck, Hodge

Just realized it's variable speed pulleys so this option probably doesn't apply.

Back