What's new
What's new

Cleaning windows on a Haas VF3

Brad.Walker

Plastic
I'm new to CNC machining and have gained access to a reasonable Haas VF3.

My first job is to really do a deep clean on the machine. And in that regard, how does one properly clean the windows on it. What type of cleaning products, brushes, etc. If I knew what type of material the window was made of, I could certain determine what type of product to use. But, I couldn't even find that one out.

So suggestions on proper window cleaning and/or a definite answer on what type of material it's made of.

Thanks.

-brad w.

Haas windows scratch easily, so cleaning may not do a lot for you. If you want something safe, a clean, fresh mixture of your coolant and some rags may work (although you want to hose down any stuck chips first), or you can use the cleaners meant for computer monitors, those should be safe.

I'm new to CNC machining and have gained access to a reasonable Haas VF3.

My first job is to really do a deep clean on the machine. And in that regard, how does one properly clean the windows on it. What type of cleaning products, brushes, etc. If I knew what type of material the window was made of, I could certain determine what type of product to use. But, I couldn't even find that one out.

So suggestions on proper window cleaning and/or a definite answer on what type of material it's made of.

Thanks.

-brad w.
Soap and water works best in a spray bottle, mostly due to that most of the mess is dried coolant on the windows that is usually water based. ive messed up a welding helmet plastic screen cover with even non ammonia glass cleaners.

Can't answer from machining experience but from auto correction/detailing, we've used vinegar to clean, and can usually polish plastic windows/housings back pretty clear. Might also work to try a ceramic-based coating on the insides to help them shed water/chemicals that spot them during machining. If you do, let it cure for 24 hours before getting it wet again.

Plastics should generally see nothing but hot water. Do like I use to back in my motorcycle windshield days... drench a bath towel in as hot a water as you can stand and throw it on there. Water based coolants will come right off. Follow with one of those yellow microfiber rags if you want to to help dry it them off.

The hot water gets the bugs off too. That is if your mill has any bug stains. :-)

Back