What's new
What's new

Clear plastic thin wall rigid tube

Froneck

Titanium
Some time ago I purchased various sizes of thin wall cut to length thin wall rigid shipping tubing from McMaster Carr, it was cheap $1.72 for 0.4" X48" length plus got the end caps. End caps came in quantity of 100. Got a few lengths each of various ODs But most used size was .400" ID about 7'16" OD. Now I need more 0.4 ID but shipping from McMaster is crazy, I buy more from MSC now and can get free shipping. I checked MSC catalog and can't find the tube, McMaster # 2044T42, nothing on ebay! Stuff is great to put culling tools in, keeps them from hitting one another when stored. I need about 6-1/2 lengths or full 48"
Anyone know where I can get that tube?

Yeah I understand but I get free shipping from MSC so make a list until I get to free shipping limit. If I do that with McMaster the shipping price keeps increasing! I got a length of 5/32" square brass X 72" for $15 shipping cost from MSC. Plus I can get a thicker wall (1/32") X 36" on ebay with free shipping!

I recently did a quick shipping cost comparison while buying some aluminum extrusion on McM's website, checking length of packaging (matl actually) compared to shipping cost, and found, as MwTech notes, that 3 ft length is a "red line", but it''s a little fuzzy. 3 ft length for some raw materials doesn't seem to give much up-charge on shipping, but on other materials it is significant. I ended up buying 2-ft lengths to make some smaller parts (yield was OK), and paid something like $15 shipping, instead of the $35 charge for 4-ft package. Buy shorts if you can.

I recently did a quick shipping cost comparison while buying some aluminum extrusion on McM's website, checking length of packaging (matl actually) compared to shipping cost, and found, as MwTech notes, that 3 ft length is a "red line", but it''s a little fuzzy. 3 ft length for some raw materials doesn't seem to give much up-charge on shipping, but on other materials it is significant. I ended up buying 2-ft lengths to make some smaller parts (yield was OK), and paid something like $15 shipping, instead of the $35 charge for 4-ft package. Buy shorts if you can.
Yeah onlinemetals even shows value for shipping 3 foot subs when you look at anything on their site.

But those tubes are sold everywhere, your gonna do some diggin to try to do pricing cuts, and you probably don't want a quantity that is gonna cut it anyway.

I had to bite the bullet on vacu formed trays for pistol sight shipping, only way for good price and shipping was for over a hundred, looked at those same tubes for a similar shipping, nah.

Unfortunately only length available is 48". Shipping for $1.72 item being $25 is a bit much. I added other items but as I did shipping cost increased.

I'd suggest looking at actual plastics distributors for the material; maybe there is someone local to you where you could just go pick it up.

I found 1cm diameter tubes, 16cm long with caps on ebay, 10 for $8.11 Free shipping. They should be good for the 5/16" diameter X 6" long items I need the tubes for.

Back