What's new
What's new

Clearances for wire chopper and ejection rollers for Sodick

M. Roberts

Cast Iron
People,

I will be replacing the wire chopper cutters on my 2003 Sodick AQ750 tomorrow morning; does anyone know the proper clearance between the "gear like" cutters? I had asked the techs, and they did not have an answer...same goes with the pinch rollers. I figure that best case scenario, I could get some plastigage and run it through the works to see where I am at...just trying to do it the right way.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

When we replaced ours I loosened the adjustment set screws to the point the wire was not being " chopped " but crimped. Then slow tightened the screws until the wire was actually being chopped. This will allow you tighten as they wear as well.

Any way you can get a pic of the sodick wire chopper? I'm only familiar with the mits cartridge style, it'd be cool to see something different.

I will try to get a picture. In response to Shanes reply, it sounds like the chopper on my Sodick is different. there is adjustment to the gap setting, but it is not something that can be adjusted in the machine. I will do my best to explain. The chopper consists of two carbide "gears"; roughly 1" wide, x 2.5" diameter. The bottom cutter is directly bolted to the drive motor, and is non adjustable. The top cutter rides in an assembly; there is a shaft that goes thru the cutter and is supported on both ends; on the ends of the shaft, there is a set screw that is adjustable, which dictates how much engagement the two gears have together...you literally have to take it completely apart, mic how far the set screw is protruding from the shaft (making sure that it is even on both ends), then re-assemble...no way that I can see to make adjustments while the cutters are assembled and engaged. In addition, I am stunned that there is no lateral adjustment on the cutters...as mentioned, they are roughly 1" wide, and the wire is 0.012"...eventually it will wear a groove in them, I have shimmed them somewhat to engage the unused areas of the cutters...they are like $700.00 each...

Mark

I will try to get a picture. In response to Shanes reply, it sounds like the chopper on my Sodick is different. there is adjustment to the gap setting, but it is not something that can be adjusted in the machine. I will do my best to explain. The chopper consists of two carbide "gears"; roughly 1" wide, x 2.5" diameter. The bottom cutter is directly bolted to the drive motor, and is non adjustable. The top cutter rides in an assembly; there is a shaft that goes thru the cutter and is supported on both ends; on the ends of the shaft, there is a set screw that is adjustable, which dictates how much engagement the two gears have together...you literally have to take it completely apart, mic how far the set screw is protruding from the shaft (making sure that it is even on both ends), then re-assemble...no way that I can see to make adjustments while the cutters are assembled and engaged. In addition, I am stunned that there is no lateral adjustment on the cutters...as mentioned, they are roughly 1" wide, and the wire is 0.012"...eventually it will wear a groove in them, I have shimmed them somewhat to engage the unused areas of the cutters...they are like $700.00 each...

Mark

Hey Mark,

I have a older AQ537L for 2008, so your chopper doesn't have the pinch adjustments on the side or lateral adjustments?

Here are a few pics of what I have on mine.
Youll see the two set screws I've circled in blue, is that the shaft your talking about?

chopper.jpg
chopper1.jpg
chopper2.jpg
chopper3.jpg

JZ,

Nope, different than mine; see the attached picture. Same basic partswire chopper.jpg, but not the same..no lateral adjustment...as far as the engagement goes, maybe I am looking at it wrong...in your last picture shows a similar setup as mine..does the shaft have two set screws drilled/threaded axially, and used as a stop? Nonetheless, mine is inside the unit and has a shee tmetal guard around it...I wonder if I can get a chopper unit similar to yours that has lateral adjustment at least...

JZ,

Nope, different than mine; see the attached picture. Same basic partsView attachment 345929, but not the same..no lateral adjustment...as far as the engagement goes, maybe I am looking at it wrong...in your last picture shows a similar setup as mine..does the shaft have two set screws drilled/threaded axially, and used as a stop? Nonetheless, mine is inside the unit and has a shee tmetal guard around it...I wonder if I can get a chopper unit similar to yours that has lateral adjustment at least...

Mark,
The shaft on mine does not have any tapped holes for set screws in it. My shaft has flats on each end, the two holes for the set screws in the housing that are perpendicular to the shaft have springs in the bottom tp adjust the cutting blade pressure. Is your wear groove dead center? I know you said you have tried to shim it over. If it's off the centerline you might be able to take it apart and flip the cutter wheel to get a new surface.

Back