What's new
What's new

CM Chain Hoist Not Working/Troubleshooting

dalmatiangirl61

Diamond
I've searched here, and CM site for a troubleshooting guide, but coming up empty., does anyone here have experience with repairing these? When up/down button is pushed, it just hums, no movement in chain, do not hear the brake releasing. Does the capacitor have anything to do with the brake? My best WAG at the moment is bad capacitor, bad brake, or bound up chain. There is another electrical component behind the capacitor, maybe its bad?

This unit is 20+ years old, but looks barely used, its been locked in a warehouse and unused for 20 years that I know of, maybe longer. I was helping to clear the place out last week and cut a safe open that was full of silver coins, they offered to give me a coin, I choose the little chain hoist instead :D .

Edit: It's a 120vac motor, 600lb capacity hoist.

Attachments

• cm 1.JPG
    cm 1.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 16
  • cm 2.JPG
    cm 2.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cm 3.JPG
    cm 3.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Our cranes will not let motor run unless brake releases. if brake pad or disk is worn, brake or switch assembly cunked, the motor turns on/off quickly. The brakes will hum.

I had one that was very lightly corroded inside from humidity and the motor was stuck.

Bad capacitor will do the same thing though. Motor will just hum instead of spin.

Dont know if the small ones ave a contactor but I just had to redo mine
With my hoist after hearing the contactor it would just hum

Hope this helps
Greg

Pretty sure the hum is coming from the motor, I did pull cover from the other side of hoist to expose the brake, the only thing I can see is a spring in the center, and not seeing it move.

Edit: Found the correct manual and wiring diagram matches diagram that is pasted to the capacitor, looks like power from the cap does go to the brake, so I'll try a new cap first. Tried uploading manual here, get the "file too large", will try a link.

The Feb 01, 2001 manual, wiring diagram B-20747 https://www.columbusmckinnon.com/en...t-library/?activePage=1&perPage=12&q=shopstar

Last edited:
Couple of things I've found, the capacitor can get overheated and damaged if its start/stopped a million times in a short period of time as in a production environment when its used out of its duty cycle. As said if the solenoid fails to release the brake pad the hoist cannot over-drive it. You might be able to manually disassemble the brake - just for troubleshooting purposes.

New cap should be here this week, if that does not fix it I'll dig in further. According to neighbor its probably been sitting in that warehouse for closer to 30 years, it does not look "popped", but that age might have killed it. Warehouse was not temp controlled, and not a spec of rust on the chain, god I love a dry climate!

Back