What's new
What's new

CNC high speed mill for graphite

snarman61

Looking for a machine that has a small foot print. We have a bostomatic 12G now. Like to replace it soon than later.
We've looked at Mankinos and mikrons , but they're so big and pricy. any suggestions. The Mikron is half the depth than the Mankino , but over 100'000 more in price. looking in the 250's range

TeachMePlease

If it's not a Mikron or a Makino, it should be a Roku-Roku.

Or maybe you can get a Robodrill/Speedio configured for graphite? Just because I've never seen one doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

White Lightning

It all depends on what you are doing and more importantly what you want to do in the future. We had 5 12G Bosto's at one time. They are all gone and replaced with 1 machine doing more work.

If the 6 station tool changer was ok on the 12G you will be fine with 16, 24 or 30. Personally 60 is limited for us. The Mikron I run has tool management and its a necessity when running graphite and holding tight tolerances unattended. We have numerous backup cutters preventing not catching a worn cutter.

The major problem with the Roku is stepping back to the mid 90's in controls , usually a limited tool changer and they are slow. We have 4 Roku's with one used as a graphite mill. It is paired with a robot feeding it trodes. They are decently accurate but really slow on the highest accuracy and setting and no cutter management. I feel they are a better hardmilling machine than graphite machine.

I mainly run a mikron 400 linear drive . It has a 60 stations tool changer and 48 position electrode magazine. It blows the Roku away. Roders makes a great machine also. Unfortunately they are both expensive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

snarman61

Mainly graphite , floor space is limited. Bostomatic is working for now , but don't want to get stuck if it break down for good. I like the mikron and it will fit , but price well over 300. Mankino is cheaper but foot is huge. The lead time to buy is 6-8months for most. plus we just brought a new CNC hole popper and sinker which put a dent in milling purchase. We are a family run business custom molders with small tool room that make limited small molds. I appreciate all the feed back. I'm just a mold maker with maybe 8 more years left in the trade.