What's new
What's new

CNC Live Tooled Lathe

Billy_C

Aluminum
What was up with the Multus ? That was another option we were considering

Our business is built on software CAM skills. The Multus integration into our current process just sucked. The post had to be virtually scratch built and even then it was a pain to get things up and running . We had Okuma apps and techs here for weeks. They were pumped to show us how awesome their machine was but even they had no idea how to get a machine like this to blend well with our workflow. They also had trouble dialing in the kinematics and other details from what I can remember. I haven't seen the Okuma sales guys stop in since we got rid of it.

I half wish we could take another stab at it. We have a more beefed up team now that could probably make an oddball machine like this at home in our shop.

aj

Cast Iron
We have an Iemca that we really like.

We have a whole house full of IMECAs. We love 'em. They do nothing but work.

For example, one will sometimes just stop pushing. The lathe doesn't get a signal anything's wrong so it just continues cutting air.

Does your machine support parametric programming? I have a 'parts per bar' counter on all our machines in case there's a problem of some kind. If the count reaches over the value that's set in the program, the machine will stop and say "Barfeed Malfunction" or I have one of them set to say "Feed Me".

BarnFab

Plastic
Our business is built on software CAM skills. The Multus integration into our current process just sucked. The post had to be virtually scratch built and even then it was a pain to get things up and running . We had Okuma apps and techs here for weeks. They were pumped to show us how awesome their machine was but even they had no idea how to get a machine like this to blend well with our workflow. They also had trouble dialing in the kinematics and other details from what I can remember. I haven't seen the Okuma sales guys stop in since we got rid of it.

I half wish we could take another stab at it. We have a more beefed up team now that could probably make an oddball machine like this at home in our shop.

Yeah ok thanks for tthe feedback.

BarnFab

Plastic
Well after doing more research and visiting some setups as well as talking to LNS I have dropped the idea of getting a bar feeder off them due to a number or reasons but mainly their inability to integrate with the Okima Control with any real reliability. Tyey have some new tech that is supposed to support it but found a few guys trying to use it and they said don't.

Based on that still keen on the Okuma and the sub will negate the need for the bar feeder and liners will let me run 4ft bars one at a time till I get sorted and then might revisit the bar feeder if production needs / justifies it.

I guess time will tell

70olds

Aluminum
Well after doing more research and visiting some setups as well as talking to LNS I have dropped the idea of getting a bar feeder off them due to a number or reasons but mainly their inability to integrate with the Okima Control with any real reliability. Tyey have some new tech that is supposed to support it but found a few guys trying to use it and they said don't.

Based on that still keen on the Okuma and the sub will negate the need for the bar feeder and liners will let me run 4ft bars one at a time till I get sorted and then might revisit the bar feeder if production needs / justifies it.

I guess time will tell

How much "integrating" are you trying to do? On our machines, the machine does it's thing, tells the bar feeder to push, it pushes, tells the machine it's done, then the machine goes back to doing it's thing. We probably have 6-7 LNS barfeeders with several on Okuma machines with no issues. I'm not trying to sway you to get an LNS bar feeder I am genuinely curious if there's more functionality you are looking for.

guythatbrews

Cast Iron
Love the Okumas. Have used for years. Although don't need it much, local support is great. Whatever you get be sure there is good LOCAL support. BTW we never used their conversational stuff.

For instance, LOCAL Mazak support was awful, bordering dishonest, and the tech they sent lived 150 miles away and he went home every night. Had to fight tooth and nail to get that stopped.

Ask around if you can. The best machine in the world can ruin your day if you can't get it running in timely fashion.

You will need spindle liners with bar feeder or bar puller. Without one bar whip will ruin part integrity. I like the cast polyurethane ones but spendy. We got slow and made some out of pvc sections very carefully glued up to achieve the length and they worked great.

BarnFab

Plastic
How much "integrating" are you trying to do? On our machines, the machine does it's thing, tells the bar feeder to push, it pushes, tells the machine it's done, then the machine goes back to doing it's thing. We probably have 6-7 LNS barfeeders with several on Okuma machines with no issues. I'm not trying to sway you to get an LNS bar feeder I am genuinely curious if there's more functionality you are looking for.
My main hang up was with the BarFeeder not actually knowing what was going on. For example say I needed 100mm out on Part 1 and 125mm on Part 2 and I wanted to run a bar with mixed parts then the LNS could not support this. Sure I could pull it with the sub or put a stopper on but it annoyed me that the level of integration was push and stop. I may revisit later and I know LNS had just released an updated controlled that would allow me to get the integration I was after but everyone I spoke to actually running it said it left a lot to be desired.

BarnFab

Plastic
As feedback on this thread we ended up buying a GENOS L3000-e MYW and it should hit the Shop floor in September this year. We decided against the LNS at this stage and just got some liners and Royals so we will hand feed 4ft bars for now.

Next step is working out what to use to Program it with, Esprit is the leading option at this point but $$$ so waiting till after we do the Okuma Training and get some time up before we make a decision so we can ask better questions and understand the demo.

Comatose

Titanium
I have a Takisawa TS4000-YS and an Okuma L200-EMY. The Okuma is MUCH nicer. The only thing to watch for is Okuma makes a lot of what should be standard controller functionality optional, and then the price to buy the functionality afterwards will make your eyes water. So go through the available options list with a fine toothed comb while you're still at the negotiations stage. But even with that, the Okuma Y axis lathe I have is my absolute favorite machine in the whole shop. I think you'll be happy.

doug925

Titanium
The ATS bar feed works well with my Genos L300M. ( I really wanted the MYW, with IGF, but the budget did not allow for it.)

wmpy

Hot Rolled
I have a Takisawa TS4000-YS and an Okuma L200-EMY. The Okuma is MUCH nicer. The only thing to watch for is Okuma makes a lot of what should be standard controller functionality optional, and then the price to buy the functionality afterwards will make your eyes water. So go through the available options list with a fine toothed comb while you're still at the negotiations stage. But even with that, the Okuma Y axis lathe I have is my absolute favorite machine in the whole shop. I think you'll be happy.
What don't you like about the Takisawa?

Comatose

Titanium
What don't I like about the takisawa... Well, for starters, the control is bare bones fanuc. How bare bones? Go directly edit parameters to perform routine tasks bare bones. There's no reason for it, this is a 2015 machine, and not a cheap one. Maybe they've bothered to add some basic user interface by now, but I doubt it.

I had to slow my tool index WAY down to make it stop missing the positions and erroring out. No idea why. So it's like a five second tool change now if one is using live tools. That was Takisawa's solution, not some sort of bodge we invented Also, there's an undocumented requirement for the turret to be balanced, which isn't a big deal but come on guys. I don't want to have to spin the turret halfway around to get to the other double (big heavy) double live tool. That's just dumb.

The Okuma came with a giant stack of manuals. Every possible thing, error, troubleshooting, and example is in there. Plus, there's a huge searchable help file on the Okuma. The takisawa? It came with a two inch thick three ring binder of barely English. That was it.

The Okuma is a precisely engineered machine that works perfectly together.

The Takisawa is a pile of parts. Now, in fairness, they're pretty good parts, and if you are willing to fight with it it'll turn out product eventually. But if I were to spend the money again, I would buy something else. I would buy ANYTHING else.

EndlessWaltz

Cast Iron
bar puller takes up less floor space. Sub could be used(collet wise) to grip on finished diameter for secondary ops then just fine.

What has the shop used for controllers? Are the push button rapids and feeds like Haas, or toggle switches? How easy to load programs? tool wear monitoring and data linking?