What's new
What's new

CNC Machining Tools

seanfrodo

Plastic
Hello. I am a professor of Engineering and teach a basic machining class and a CNC class at a University level. I am outfitting my CNC vertical mill and turning center with some general tooling. In your all opinion what are some must haves in terms of cutting tools, inserts, holders, etc. Thank you!!!

mneuro

Cast Iron
I taught engineering students how to use the manual mill and lathe while I was still a student. So this is based on my limited experience working with students vs my professional career in production shops.

- Edge finder
-Coaxial indicator
-Standard side lock holders
-Standard collet holders
-6" vise
-Mirror set
-Tool set with standard wrenches, screwdrivers, and hex keys
-Deadblow hammer
-Basic inspection equipment

That list covers 90% of what students needed for their projects.

The group could probably give better info if you could share what type of engineering students you are working with, and what their projects will be. It would also help to know what the machine is and what kind of equipment/supplies you already have.

rklopp

Diamond
Reach out to the Johns Hopkins U SAE Mini-Baja team. They just went through this exercise for their new lathes and mill. It was mostly a student-driven effort, in which at least one of the students had experience as a manual and CNC machinist in at least four different shops and reached out to me at times for advice. There was a lot of flipping through the Travers, MariTool, and MSC web pages and catalogs looking for the right stuff at the best prices.

BOB-OO

Aluminum
Tools are completely dependent on the parts you will using to teach your students. Pick your parts and size of stock or the features you want to focus on then the tool choices will be easy.

CarbideBob

Diamond
Members Shop Supply Guru and exkenna come to mind for tooling up.
.....oh, seems the local to you guy banned. For what I do not know......... Very strange. PM me and I can give contact info on both.
A decent experienced tool distributor person willing to spend some time will help you navigate this minefield better than any internet ideas.
I could make some list of stuff and places to buy but I do not know your real needs.
Bob

plastikdreams

Diamond
Members Shop Supply Guru and exkenna come to mind for tooling up.
.....oh, seems the local to you guy banned. For what I do not know......... Very strange. PM me and I can give contact info on both.
A decent experienced tool distributor person willing to spend some time will help you navigate this minefield better than any internet ideas.
I could make some list of stuff and places to buy but I do not know your real needs.
Bob

Seems ship supply Guru got banned for selling stuff...it sounded kinda janky (not on his part) when he explained it lol.

DDoug

Diamond
Hello. I am a professor of Engineering and teach a basic machining class and a CNC class at a University level. I am outfitting my CNC vertical mill and turning center with some general tooling. In your all opinion what are some must haves in terms of cutting tools, inserts, holders, etc. Thank you!!!

So your a highly paid "Perfesser" and you want us to doo YOUR JOB for YOU, for FREE ?

rklopp

Diamond
Doug, how about being helpful? Put yourself in his shoes, for real, not from your Lazy-Boy chair. The guy is a professor and said so, so he's asking machinists for some guidance. Nothing wrong with that. The professor was thankful. Where else would you expect anyone to find information about tooling up a shop besides a machinist forum? Spockian mind-meld? Wikipedia? Home Shopping Network? Thankfully, other posters stepped up with some actual help.

The professor is trying to teach upcoming generations about machining. Why wouldn't you want to help that process instead of standing on the side and throwing rocks?

IninefingersI

Aluminum
Doug, how about being helpful? Put yourself in his shoes, for real, not from your Lazy-Boy chair. The guy is a professor and said so, so he's asking machinists for some guidance. Nothing wrong with that. The professor was thankful. Where else would you expect anyone to find information about tooling up a shop besides a machinist forum? Spockian mind-meld? Wikipedia? Home Shopping Network? Thankfully, other posters stepped up with some actual help.

The professor is trying to teach upcoming generations about machining. Why wouldn't you want to help that process instead of standing on the side and throwing rocks?

To be fair, it really isn't practical to tell someone what they need to supply their class without knowing what he has and what he wants to do other than just teach a class.

I assume this is probably a class designed for mechanical engineering students. The things they will need to know to be better Engineers is markedly different than someone who plans to spend their career swimming in chips.

What he should probably do is lay out his coursework and buy what he needs to complete those projects rather than buying things at random to make the classroom look like a machine shop.

DouglasJRizzo

Titanium
I taught engineering students how to use the manual mill and lathe while I was still a student. So this is based on my limited experience working with students vs my professional career in production shops.

- Edge finder
-Coaxial indicator
-Standard side lock holders
-Standard collet holders
-6" vise
-Mirror set
-Tool set with standard wrenches, screwdrivers, and hex keys
-Deadblow hammer
-Basic inspection equipment

That list covers 90% of what students needed for their projects.

The group could probably give better info if you could share what type of engineering students you are working with, and what their projects will be. It would also help to know what the machine is and what kind of equipment/supplies you already have.

THIS. This right here.
I would only add a ratchet/socket set and a roll of disposable wipes.

Zeuserdoo

Aluminum
As far as inserts, tool holders, endmills etc. go, I would reach out to the largest machine shops/manufacturers in your area. A lot of them will have spare or unused tooling that they will probably donate to the university for free.