What's new
What's new

Colchester Chipmaster taper attachement

Merdailleurs

Plastic
Hi ,

I want to try my hand at taper turning, my Chip master is equipped with a taper turning attachment.:D

Can someone instruct me on how to engage/disengage the taper attachment relative to the cross slide.:confused:

I don't see a screw or lever I could operate, except for the cross nut screw.:(

There is probably something very obvious that I miss.:o

Thanks in advance for your help!

Francois, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

The cross slide screw is telescopic.

The cross slide hand wheel is carried on a separate, short, shaft bored to take a set of female splines to engage with matching male splines on the end of the feed screw itself.

To operate simply set the saddle in a suitable position, clamp the restraining bar to the bed, adjust taper slide to desired value and have at it. The manual advises that the clamp bracket be removed from the bed during normal use and re-fitted when taper turning is to be undertaken.

Helps to have a copy of the manual. The parts section is very useful for this sort of how does it go thing.

If you've not got a copy PM me and I'll shoot a pdf over.

One trap with telescopic screws it build up of old oil gumge in the splines if the taper turner is not used for many years. Well worth carving out time to clean and oil occasionally. Along with the rest of the sliding and screwing parts.

Clive

Hi Titanium,

That was a fast response, I will take your PDF offer gladly.
I have had the lathe for some time now, more information on the machine is welcome and truly priceless.

I love that machine, it is truly a gem and shines at whatever I try doing with it.

Thank you for your time and advice, I will look forward to doing this.

Francois

be sure the taper attachment is working freely and well lubricated before power feed is applied.........there can be a very large twisting couple applied to the saddle with taper turning ....in fact the ideal spot for the taper attachment is overhead ,which is where capstan lathes have them.

Also mention the same taper attachment fits your Chippy,Bantam ,roundhead Student and Master..........as you may know the Chippy has the same saddle as a Bantam,and the same large Gamet spindle bearings as the Student /Master roundheads.

Back