What's new
What's new

Colchester Master 2500 oil in electrical box

Beauvais

Plastic
Ive just bought this colchester and am in the process of stripping it back to clean and refresh, Im disassembling everything bar the head as there seemed nothing wrong from running it through the speeds. There is a lot of oil under the head and its made its way into the electrical boxes, is there is a common place the oil leaks from these lathes? Im a bit reluctant to remove the oil system but dont want to clean it up and have oil leak like it has again.

IMG-2682.jpg

IMG-2707.jpg

Sandpaper on top of the motor..🤔

IMG-2680.jpg

thermite

Diamond
Ive just bought this colchester and am in the process of stripping it back to clean and refresh, Im disassembling everything bar the head as there seemed nothing wrong from running it through the speeds. There is a lot of oil under the head and its made its way into the electrical boxes, is there is a common place the oil leaks from these lathes? Im a bit reluctant to remove the oil system but dont want to clean it up and have oil leak like it has again.

IMG-2682.jpg

IMG-2707.jpg

Sandpaper on top of the motor..🤔

IMG-2680.jpg
Braggin' 'coz your one is cleaner than average?

:)

Only machine-tools as do NOT get lube & coolant into they 'lectrical boxes were line-shaft driven.

Only machine-tools as don't accumulate chip & swarf are those not being run.

Only British machinery as does not leak lubricants are being run without enough lube.

Clean it. Run what you got. Clean it again now and then.

There's a sorta gummy-putty made for stuffing around the wire where it enters a conduit if you want to slow-down the next round of accumulation.

Otherwise "machine tool wire" is oil-resistant, so BFD.

I'd worry more about tramp coolants going walkabout, meself. Those can get nastier by far!
Your one dasn 't look to be harmed. Yet.

Last edited:

Beauvais

Plastic
Braggin' 'coz your one is cleaner than average?

:)

Only machine-tools as do NOT get lube & coolant into they 'lectrical boxes were line-shaft driven.

Only machine-tools as don't accumulate chip & swarf are those not being run.

Only British machinery as does not leak lubricants are being run without enough lube.

Clean it. Run what you got. Clean it again now and then.

There's a sorta gummy-putty made for stuffing around the wire where it enters a conduit if you want to slow-down the next round of accumulation.

Otherwise "machine tool wire" is oil-resistant, so BFD.

I'd worry more about tramp coolants going walkabout, meself. Those can get nastier by far!
Your one dasn 't look to be harmed. Yet.

This is probably the result of a lifetime of usage so yeah I think a clean will see me through for a while.

Is the oil running down that flexible conduit that enters on the left side of the box in the middle picture?

Its covered in oil yes, I will inspect it closer (y)

thermite

Diamond
This is probably the result of a lifetime of usage so yeah I think a clean will see me through for a while.

LOL! "By way of comparison.." there was LESS lube-oil and leaked hydraulic fluid hither-and-yon inside my HBX-360-BC, not only hydraulically speed-controlled and pressure-lubricated, but a hydraulic TRACER with inbuilt pumps and reservoires......

...than there was "piped" all-over Hell and half of Sidney, Ohio inside either of my 1941 or 1944 Monarch 10EE's through their "nominally" electrical conduits!

And their coolant sumps were not really a problem.

Coolant sumps on the Alzmetall drillpress and the "Quartet" combo-mill, OTOH, looked - and SMELLED - as if they were trying to hatch an asphalt highway by cross-breeding snake s**t, fish-heads, and steel cuttings in a Viet-Cong latrine.

:(

I did say your one was relatively CLEAN?

Be happy!

Beauvais

Plastic
Its 95% cleaned now, just need to clean the panels and the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Had to make a block to secure the lead screw bearing as it only came with the taper attachment mech.

IMG-2691.jpg

IMG-2767.jpg

IMG-2776.jpg

IMG-2781.jpg

IMG-2661.jpg

IMG-2784.jpg