What's new
What's new

Collet, free for postage.

Mr_CNC_guy

Cast Iron
I have this odd collet that I don't know what it goes to.
It is a 3/8" collet with a .5" diameter and about 2" long and 24 TPI thread.
It probably goes to some watchmakers lathe.
Rather than tossing it out, anyone can have it for postage.

DSC02833.JPG

This reading is ~0.5"
DSC02829.JPGDSC02830.JPGDSC02831.JPG

I don't think that it is a 3C, the diameter is wrong: this is 0.5" and 3C is 0.65".
A Black Diamond drill grinder collet is a good bet since no one seems to
know the standard that Black Diamond collets conform to.

Hardinge lists the Black Diamond master collets as "3/4 Black Diamond Round Collet" or the other two sizes, 9/16 and 3/8. In other words, these collets are unique to Black Diamond. As noted in post #1, the 3/8 collet has a .500 body, so it is obviously not one of the above mentioned collets that hold 1/2" or larger stock (3C, 3AT or 4NS).

Larry

Steve Marquess says that it will fit his Black Diamond, so that is likely the standard.​

It is in the mail to him, so we should soon know for sure.

Yup ... the notes I was looking at are years old. Dunno where I got 3C from back then. Actual measurement of one of my Black Diamond chucks (and my one collet) is 0.375" ID, 0.500" OD, 2.020 OAL, 24TPI thread.

The threadless Black Diamond drill collets (also proprietary) have a 3/8" OD and fit in this master collet. The ID is drill specific.

-Steve M.

Yeah we've been over this before in quite a few different threads. The larger (3/4") ones are not C collets or any other standard I've found; the smaller ones are NOT 3C - although it seems there are many who will sit and argue with ya' about that.

Actual dimensions on the Black Diamond master collets are hard to find, and they are not even mentioned in my old printed Hardinge collet catalogs. The title of this thread does not mention Black Diamond, so I cross-posted to an old thread with a useful title in case someone looks for this information in the future.

Larry

Back