What's new
What's new

"Commonly" found items that contain magnesium (metal)?

That last one: she takes him down she gets to claim him as a husband, or what?! :D

I haven't figured out the exact rules ? Usually it's two or three girls and one guy so that'd be awkward maybe ... or maybe not :) It seems to be the one who hits the ground first loses, so she was doing better than him but lost at the end.

Everybody always seems to be laughing so marriage is probably not involved, the stakes would be too high :D

FWIW, I got a magnesium HWH anode for $35.00, a magnesium cased chainsaw AND a second magnesium cased chainsaw. Now I have more magnesium than I know what to do with.
I ALWAYS over do things. It's a legit sickness :(.

VW cases were magnesium pre 1957,easily spotted by the black colour ........Manx Norton crankcases ,36-62 ,Matchless G50 crankcases ,50-62,AJS 7R cases 47-62.....these examples may be a bit spendy......Jaguar XJ cars ..lots of magnesium ,even the diff gear casing .............AEC engine crankcases and sumps ,and the flywheel housings ......AEC gearbox housings pre 54,some AEC worm drive diff centre casings............then the tons of WW2 airplane engine castings.......Incidentally ,Ive tried to light massive castings with an oxy torch ......no continuous burn ,just sprts of white light ,and lots of white oxide.

Ran in to a LOT of Magnesium oil pans in various scrap metal bins over the years that I was hanging with a bunch of them reprobate Metal Casting types.

Always easy to tell! When you hit a Magnesium Oil Pan with a sledge hammer, the hammer rebounds pretty close to forehead height. You just don't get that much 'talk-back' from aluminum!

The casting guys got me to scrounging vinegar packs from the fast food places, as you can scrape a bare patch on the suspected Magnesium part, and apply a little Vinegar. If it turns Purple-ish and bubbles, it IS magnesium. Aluminum does not react the same way!

Back