What's new
What's new

Congrats to whoever just bought the Monarch 613 2013 @ Livermore Labs!

TheOldCar

Stainless
I started bidding, then got the “don’t do it” vibe (us LDS people call it the Spirit) and sadly watched it end.
Looked amazing & would have replaced my Series 60. Inch/Metric, complete taper—ALL the parts—, original paint, faceplates, multiple chucks, original(?) Sony DRO…

20” swing which I want, and the motor & hyd tank NOT sticking outta’ the side which meant it fit PERFECTLY where I was going to set it. 😢

Went for over $15,000 and I’m willing to bet it is worth every penny.

It was, the total with tax and buyers premium, $18,585!
I stopped bidding at $14,500.......
I saw it last fall when I picked up my Deckel FP3 from there, ways were excellent!
The only question would be if there's any headstock issues, looks like the cover was off at some point?

Hopefully the new owner will chime in?

Kevin

Dang, I hope it turns out great, with no headstock issues.

You had more guts than me; I only made it to $6100 when the cold feet set in.

I was happy to get an answer about flexibility on timeframe and if they REALLY would load the lathe. The answer came very quick and they posted it on GovDeals.

What a capable, beautiful machine.

I saw that machine as well, not in person. Looks really really nice and even seemed to come with decent tooling.

Anyone know why there was half the follow rest in the chip tray?

I did not really expect it to go for as much as it did although it is worth every penny. There is a Inch Metric 612 for sale at Belmont Machinery in Illinois. I am not sure on the asking price. It is also a smaller 1610 with 54" between centers if I recall correctly. I love these larger I/M Monarchs. I hope to have one some day!

Nice machine. Looks like it includes dual speed tailstock, taper attachment, and the power/rapid traverse. I have a '67 612-2516 that I'm getting close to putting into service. Beast of a machine. Wish mine had I/M

I saw that machine as well, not in person. Looks really really nice and even seemed to come with decent tooling.

Anyone know why there was half the follow rest in the chip tray?

I did not really expect it to go for as much as it did although it is worth every penny. There is a Inch Metric 612 for sale at Belmont Machinery in Illinois. I am not sure on the asking price. It is also a smaller 1610 with 54" between centers if I recall correctly. I love these larger I/M Monarchs. I hope to have one some day!
(Looks wise, the Monarch in your avatar is still king)

I wondered about that follow rest part, and where the steady rest ended up.
Maybe the rest is in the other chip pan?

(Looks wise, the Monarch in your avatar is still king)

I do really like the look of the 1000ee or whatever you want to call it.

Unfortunately for mine, it's like the most absolute base model :(. Normal tailstock, no constant surface speed, nothing extra fancy. It does have a top speed of 2500 rpm vs the typical 2000 rpm and has what looks like a preset for various speeds which I have never seen on another machine. Ways are about the best I could ask for though. Also it doesn't run and I don't have enough power for a proper conversion at the moment haha. Its the long term project I have not started yet. Would be pretty cool to get a metric change gear set made for the machine even though I probably would not really need one.

EDIT: No taper attachment :(

Last edited:
I didn't watch the video, but it looks like they haven't repainted it! That must be a first for Machinery Consultants. I bet their asking price is $60,000...

I asked for a quote on it in Nov 2022- this was their response-
Monarch Toolroom Lathe Way-Rare ~ 20.5” x 80” ~ Model 613 Inch & Metric

Lathe package with items, Asking Price: $49,500.00

Last edited:
Nice lathe. I wouldn't trade my Series 62 for a 613 they are a bit lighter built. The part I am jealous of is the toolroom lathes had a micrometer dial on the tailstock. Mine does not have that. Sadly I don't think I could ever find a scrapped one to steal it off of.

Machinery Consultants price is a little silly. My guess is they are going to sell it overseas or somewhere you can get that for a manual machine. Most US places can buy a nice CNC for $50k and make a lot more money.

My 2516 with the non micrometer tailstock. The 16" over cross isn't there either with the tracer on it. I did not pay $50k for it, or $18.5k.
20220724_210603 resize.jpg20220724_210735 resize.jpg20220724_210758 resize.jpg

I bought a 10ee from Machinery Consultants for my employer. So far, we are happy with it, it came well tooled, and they did a decent job on the paint work. We paid 14k.

50k is insane, they have had that thing for years now.

Back