What's new
What's new

Contacted by contractor for quote

rbmgf7

Aluminum
I normally avoid contractors like the plague; not based on my experience but my fathers. He went bankrupt from his largest job because the contractor ended up underbidding a huge government job. The contractors cut and ran and left all the subs hurting and my father had to shut the doors shortly after (this was back in the mid 2000s).

I just do stuff out of my garage and I've done local work for mom and pop ops. I do live next to a huge government installation and any work I've done for them was just GSA purchases, nothing huge.

This contractor reached out to me based on a Google search. I can't find much info on the contractor. They're based out of State and that's about it. The job is real simple and is less than $10k. I can't request for much info because the deadline for the contractor to RFI has passed by weeks. Most of what they're asking for is vague but understandable. I get the feeling this is a "uh, we missed this one detail" kinda thing. The packet they sent to me even said "not to exceed $25k". I don't think I'm bidding for the job. It seems like a normal purchase.

So my question is: I just have simple quotes. I have net 14 which in most if not all cases, the customer pays right when I deliver. I know prices are jumping up and down and every which way so I was going to add that the quote was only good for 14 days.

As far as payment. The job is only a few grand and probably the second largest job I've had. Do I put 100% up front? 50/50? I'd hate to try and ask for payment upon receipt. I know large companies NET30/60/90. My day job is 180 (*eyeroll*). It's a good few bucks in my pocket but I get the feeling it's going to be a struggle for payment. Especially since I've never dealt with this company before.

Thanks.

I just do stuff out of my garage and I've done local work for mom and pop ops.

As far as payment. The job is only a few grand and probably the second largest job I've had. Do I put 100% up front? 50/50? I'd hate to try and ask for payment upon receipt. I know large companies NET30/60/90. My day job is 180 (*eyeroll*). It's a good few bucks in my pocket but I get the feeling it's going to be a struggle for payment. Especially since I've never dealt with this company before.

Thanks.

Any new customer big or small I always get payment upon delivery of the parts. Once the parts are delivered and you leave without payment, you are at their mercy if they decide to actually pay you or not. No thanks.

My day job is also 120 to 180 days payment and they wonder why they struggle to get suppliers to work for them. :nutter:

I think they don't know what they are doing and have been unable to do it themselves. If they can bury their problem with yours I bet they will.

Get all the money you need up front and get it in writing what you are supposed to do for them spelled out the way a lawyer will go after you in court.

If they still proceed then that is a win.

If they don't let them try to screw someone else over, not you.

If you have the guts to do it this way it will develop your reputation as a doer not a gambler, it will bring you more work.

This contractor reached out to me based on a Google search. I can't find much info on the contractor. They're based out of State and that's about it.

Especially since I've never dealt with this company before.
They appear to be trolling for a new sucker.

I do the same, new customer COD or credit card. After the first job, I ask for credit references, check them , and if they are favorable, I talk to someone who signs checks and get assurances that terms of net 30 (or 45 at the most) will be adhered to. Then ask for an email confirming that conversation. If not, they stay on COD or credit card. Then I'm diligent about reminding them of that agreement if they are late paying. Late more than once, they go back on COD or credit card.

"After the first job, I ask for credit references,"

I always asked for the credit references up front. Aside from that, I would be very careful doing work for somebody who found me by Google.

I think something could be fishy, I think I would want to talk with them on the phone for starters. Digging up a small garage shop on a Google search seems odd.

I think something could be fishy, I think I would want to talk with them on the phone for starters. Digging up a small garage shop on a Google search seems odd.

I don't disclose my location on Google. They can find it if they do a State business search but otherwise a general search doesn't pinpoint my location.

I'm pretty remote so a Google search for a fab shop around a big government installation where the work is being conducted will yield very, very few results. The only two welding shops in town closed their doors these past few years. Nearest large capacity shop is an hour away but they usually pawn stuff like this onto me.

Its hard to say, it could be a door opening to a new opportunity, and it could be them trying to dump their problem on you. If you don't have time to work out the details to your satisfaction, I would defer to the sage advice of the greaseman...

"run like hell buddy"

I don't disclose my location on Google. They can find it if they do a State business search but otherwise a general search doesn't pinpoint my location.

I'm pretty remote so a Google search for a fab shop around a big government installation where the work is being conducted will yield very, very few results. The only two welding shops in town closed their doors these past few years. Nearest large capacity shop is an hour away but they usually pawn stuff like this onto me.

Most all of us started out part time in our garage, so hope you didn't take me calling you a garage shop a slight, I just thought it was odd the guy found you on Google and not by word of mouth.

Most all of us started out part time in our garage, so hope you didn't take me calling you a garage shop a slight, I just thought it was odd the guy found you on Google and not by word of mouth.

Is there a chance for a meet up? I always err on the side of caution.

I just quoted myself, and not on purpose. I will blame the cat running around my desk.

I deal with this in the food industry at times. Companies call me in to hound me about a project where they were just getting me (smart) to tell there contractor (dumb and cheap) how to do their job. 1 company finaly caught on I was feeding them bad information after they lost quite a bit. But hey, I never got a dime after 6 different consultations so I figured it was right.

Now in that case, I was never going to get the job anyway, their dumb ass contractors just didn't know how to rig certain machines or how to align things properly to make it work. All I ever lost was gas money as I figured my time was a great stress reliever.

Now in your case, this could go either way. I am seriously guessing at 50% they dont know how to read the prints and are giving you updates as they realize them, and 50% your going to get screwed as the other 2 welding shops that may have done the same thing. Personally, I stay away from 50/50 odds and only deal with 15% or less I'm going to get screwed. FYI, all jobs have at least a 1% chance of getting screwed, even if you have dealt with then for years.

Half the shops I’ve sent work to Ive found on Google. I’ve done it on behalf of a 2 billion dollar company and a 2 million dollar company.

No one turned me down for finding them by searching online. Most of the time they are pleased as it somewhat justifies having a website.

My first question is do you take a credit card? Quite a few shops are happy getting paid the same day. Some like to set up a 30 day cycle.

My point being is that the internet is the first place a lot of people look for things. I don’t get the paranoia being located via Google, it’s modern business.

And to the OP, see if they have a credit card. Run the card ahead of time like a hotel does and bill them once they pick up the parts.

I normally avoid contractors like the plague; not based on my experience but my fathers. He went bankrupt from his largest job because the contractor ended up underbidding a huge government job. The contractors cut and ran and left all the subs hurting and my father had to shut the doors shortly after (this was back in the mid 2000s).

I just do stuff out of my garage and I've done local work for mom and pop ops. I do live next to a huge government installation and any work I've done for them was just GSA purchases, nothing huge.

This contractor reached out to me based on a Google search. I can't find much info on the contractor. They're based out of State and that's about it. The job is real simple and is less than $10k. I can't request for much info because the deadline for the contractor to RFI has passed by weeks. Most of what they're asking for is vague but understandable. I get the feeling this is a "uh, we missed this one detail" kinda thing. The packet they sent to me even said "not to exceed $25k". I don't think I'm bidding for the job. It seems like a normal purchase.

So my question is: I just have simple quotes. I have net 14 which in most if not all cases, the customer pays right when I deliver. I know prices are jumping up and down and every which way so I was going to add that the quote was only good for 14 days.

Thanks.

Yeah out of State plus your Dads experience be very suspicious. Once a lady walked into the shop through the back door. Pretty very sharp and wanted parts done we told her to come n and ask for the owner. She did and after we found out all she did was shop these as a middle lady finding the lowest cost vendors. He said some who do that might be twice removed from the customer wanting the parts. A recipe for problems. Usually problems begin flowing good once a shop bites on the work.

Nothing wrong with asking for 100% up front. Worst case, they tell you to pound sand, and then you haven't lost anything.

If people want to play games, it's always more fun to play when you are sitting on their money and not the other way around.

Even more difficulties now,with payment by card or some payment agency,where the card can have a drawback ,and agencies often hold the payment for 30 days.........I used to have plain old cash,but ask for cash now ,and its like youre a dinosaur waiting for a comet.

I remember a guy gave me a lot of cash to get the parts together for a monster truck.....lot of the stuff I had,some I needed to buy in,which I hadnt done when he got killed in a car crash.....I didnt know he d been killed,and first a couple of his "buddies" turned up and asked for the cash back ,then the girlfriend/de facto turned up and asked for the money,at which point the penny dropped....anyhoo,next a lawyer turned up ,and when I refused,he said he would submit a court demand........at which point I figured Id better get my story straight,which I did.

If you're gut is telling you no......then forget about it....if you thought it was OK you wouldn't be here asking the question

Unless you're desperate for money and troubles...........walk away

Im on the other side of that coin. I used to would do those kind of jobs. and would again if I wasn't so busy. out of state contractors, pain in the ass pay schedules, customers that are not sure whats needed. biggest deal will it kill you if you lose out? then no. but a lot of government work is done by people who have no idea what they are doing but are good at doing the paperwork, because a certain amount of work is required to be done my small businesses a certain amount of businesses that's all they do is be middlemen. charge double or triple for hassle factor and if it comes in you make bank. in my case the money come in even though it was a total failure but I followed the specs religiously and documented it according to requirements plus some

I'm still working on the quote. They sent a whole stack of letters and memos and within the packet and it had the point of contact for the contracting officer. I just wrote to them to get more info or maybe work directly (dirty me, I know it).

Back