What's new
What's new

Conventional Wisdom wrong again

Can't fit the wife and kid and a weekends worth of food and clothes in the vette. .
No problem, that's what the wife's car is for. Get her a Honda Accord ;)

But FWIW, I could get the wife and a weekends worth of food in the Vette, but the kid would have to be shipped UPS or something.

VW?

This I believe. I've got a '93 VW Corrado:
corrado1.jpg

It's shown in it's natural state, under repair:D. So far, 2 transmissions 1 engine 2 AC compressors 2 AC condensors 5 wheelbearings and 1 $500 headlight (a large quantity of other items, too!). :willy_nilly:
I *have* owned it since 1993, and it does have 200k miles, and I did live in Boston for 10 years, so the repairs probably aren't totally the car's fault - maybe.
I keep it because (1) it's been paid for for a very long time; (2) it still goes 140mph and 0-60 in 6 sec; (3) it gets 30mpg highway @ 75mph; (4) it's one of only about 18,000 produced; and (5) I know it really well as I have to fix it all the time!

I guess I am one of those engineers that did hands on stuff as a kid! (reference to the end of the engineering world thread...)

I am pretty sure Audi, Porsche, and VW are all part of the Volkswagen Group. Matter a fact look at the Porsche Cayenne and Volkswagen Tourage.

That's gotta be a typo.

No headlight costs five hundred dollars.

I've bought entire cars for *much* less than that.

Jim

No typo. $496 or something like that from the dealer :eek:. Mind, that's just the headlight lens & reflectors. It's not HID from the factory. (I could have picked up the $199 pair on ebone - from China :angry: - but I passed.) Now, In-Pro (German) make a projector beam replacement for $600/pair :drool5:.

Unfortunately, that's what you get with an actual limited production car - expensive body parts.

And I too have bought entire cars for less than that. My first 5 cars probably didn't total $500.

I vote Audi. 10 years ago I bought an Audi 100 that just came off a 3 year lease with a 2 yr dealer warranty (thank God for that) for the wife. Most unreliable piece of crap I ever owned.

So odd. I've gotten 325K from a 85' and over 200K from a mid 90's Audi.

My mother can get 80K from a brand new one.

My wife has a '96 A6 wagon going on 140K that lost the water pump 4 months ago. She puts in water in the morning and has steam blasting from the hood by the time she gets to work. 4 months daily driving and it's still going. Tick Tick Tick Crack every time she shuts off the ignition.

Not fixing it because my Great Dane puppy literally shredded the interior and my wife would drive the car forever if it still runs. I want a new(er) one.

If somebody told me I had to put a 500 dollar headlight on my car, there would
be a tractor headlight bolted on there so fast your head would swim!

And the old one would be tossed through the dealer's window one dark
rainy night....

Jim

I don't know about the $500 headlight, but the BMW battery for a 740il costs $350. Sheesh.

Also,
Can't fit the wife and kid ... in the vette.

Dude, that's the whole POINT of a 'Vette. As long as you can fit golf clubs, a blender, and tequila, triple sec, and lime juice in the trunk, you are golden.

Jim

The Audi disbelief is really funny.

Many here must be still driving cars with sealed beam headlights. Mebbe 6 bucks per duals, 10 bucks per the combination hi-lo, singles, the big ones.

Friend with a body shop bitches all the time about the OEM headlight assemblies, tail light, too, easy 500, insurance dictates aftermarket, maybe 200, and that is for GMC and Ford and Toyota and Nissan and everybody else.

I drive Audi. I like them, have for 20 years or more. I have had to buy parts, shop for them. find that, like any other maker's parts, where you go determines what you pay.

Wheel bearing goes bad, shop, find the absolute same bearing for anywhere from 135 bucks down to 50 bucks, same maker, same part number.

Same with any other maker. I have a kid who has a Daewoo. Owned by GM, now. Strut, at my closest dealer, 185 bucks. Call another dealer, up near where the boy works, 131 bucks, same dealer item. Delivered to the shop at professional discount, even less.

You are being screwed as to price.

Same friend had to replace the in tank fuel pump in his garage's Chevy S-10. GM price, 500 bucks, part alone, aftermarket, 230.

SeanS,

My '90 100 clock quit at 186,707. I don't know how they drive the odometer on these "newer" models. My 80 , 81, 85, 87, were cable driven. Wormwheel cracked. Got to .9 mile, and quit. This one is fly by wire, I guess, just an electrical connector, plain assed quit when I clicked the reset button.

Fasto,

That ain't only limited production cars. Honda Civics are 500, Toyota Tacomas are 500, even Chevy Saturns are VERY high priced, as are '87 Ford F-150s.

You need them, they will supply them, you will pay for them, or you put a tractor headlight on the fender.

Sorry, that is the way it is.

Cheers,

George

I know, its "just" a $7 billion expansion. Never mind that it will be built, from the ground up, to process 275,000 barrels a day of Saudi heavy crude, and will expand to 600,000 a day in a few years.
Conventional wisdom says new refineries cant be built in the USA, so this CANT be a new refinery, can it?

In terms of equipment, technology, process, and employees, its all new. But since it is built next to an existing refinery, and, presumably, will use its dock, offices, and parking lot, its not "new".

Which helps exempt it from EPA regs under "grandfathering"..... which is why the ARAMCO, which is the LARGEST OIL COMPANY IN THE WORLD saw fit to invest $7,000,000,000 in the new refinery.

Exxon Mobil are pikers compared to ARAMCO, but since government control is good, we hate them, not ARAMCO, GASPROM, PEMEX, PVDSA or the other government controlled oil satrapies who control ninety percent of the world's proven oil reserves.

I wonder what ARAMCO's CEO rakes in each year? Bet it's more than Exxon Mobil's Chairman, and I bet ARAMCO didn't pay greenmail to Jesse Jackson either... they don't pay off black folks in Saudi Arabia, they buy and sell them over there. They buy and sell Christian blacks in Darfur.

While this refinery is approved with nary a whisper up north in Kansas a new coal fired power plant's application for construction has been denied, because of "global warming"....

The department’s staff had recommended issuing the air quality permits, but Roderick L. Bremby, the secretary of the department, said in a statement, “I believe it would be irresponsible to ignore emerging information about the contribution of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases to climate change and the potential harm to our environment and health if we do nothing.”

Mr. Bremby cited a Supreme Court ruling this year, Massachusetts v. the Environmental Protection Agency, in which the court found that carbon dioxide was a pollutant and could be regulated.

At the Sunflower Electric Power Corporation, which would be the operator and part-owner of the plant, a spokesman, Stephen J. Miller, said the court decision merely permitted regulations on carbon dioxide but did not create them. “There are no carbon dioxide regulations in the federal rules or in Kansas,” Mr. Miller said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/business/20plant.html

Of course "normalcy" will "return" once "Cap and Trade" is the "law of the land" and Al Gore and the rest can make a killing selling "Carbon" indulgences to the masses for a tidy profit.....

Once these clowns are in "control of the means of production" via "Cap and Trade" we'll have industry, which they'll "control" for the "Greater good" the greater good of their bank accounts.

Guys like Reis will cheer them on.... private enterprise bad, public enterprise good....

I dont hate any oil company execs.
I am just pointing out the truth- that foreign companies are willing to invest in new infrastructure and factories in the USA, while, by and large, domestic ones are offshoring instead.

The Russians are sinking $3 to $5 Billion into new steel mills here. The Indians are building the first new integrated mill in the US in something like 30 years, for over $3 Billion. The Germans are building another new steel mill in Alabama- another $4 Billion or so.
The Chinese are building refrigerator factories in South Carolina, Driveline factories in Michigan, Solar Collector factories in California.
The Japanese are building auto plants all over the USA- as are the Koreans, the Germans, and, it is rumored, soon Fiat will return.

But Conventional Wisdom says we cant build factories, or refineries, here because of Unions, Environmental Laws, high taxes, and government regulation. So our vaunted and all knowing Wall Street Gurus, the ones who have done so well managing our 401 K plans (checked yours lately?) believe Conventional Wisdom, and dont build infrastructure.

Somehow, these silly furriners just arent getting the message.

You cannot sue them in US courts.... except for their "assets" here.

In contrast "Big Tobacco" was sued for $126,000,000,000 dollars because scum changed the rules Ex Post Facto. Some attorneys billed the government $16,000 an hour for their "time". Yeap, you read that right, some of those clowns made more than in an hour than some Wal-Mart employees make in one year - but Wal-mart employees do not give big buck$ to the DNC.

Neither do many American businesses, which makes them ca$h cow$ instead of Corporate citizens.

I can see why US based businesses are running away, with this kind of horsecrap accepted as "decency" by some here.

Gene

The Audi disbelief is really funny.

I drive Audi. I like them, have for 20 years or more. I have had to buy parts, shop for them. find that, like any other maker's parts, where you go determines what you pay.

George

Figured you for a Chevy man, George. Seeing as you're so into "working man's" issues here.

Last person of my acquaintance who drove an Audi was a nurse who married into "money" and bullied her husband into buying her one. Pretty but lacked the class and good sense that should go with money.

I drive a Toyota myself. I'm not proud of it, but I couldn't find an American made car that I could work on in the street and that also got over thirty MPG. Having said that I catch some static from coworkers about driving a "foreign" made car.

You're right about sources... you can get the same parts for fifty to sixty percent less if you shop around.

HOWEVER you have to be careful these days... counterfeit parts are not that uncommon, especially with "bargains". Stuff comes in from China and elsewhere which looks good but is really trash. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for out there.

Gene

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for out there.

Gene

True very true.

Except in the case of a $500 headlight...that's just flat out corporate douchebagism. :skep:

For example, here's 10 Million candlepower for less than $40, and that's the first link on Google's list. Haven't even shopped around yet.

http://www.whaledeal.com/10-MILLION-CANDLE-POWER-LIGHT/wdp10271654.html

10....million....candlepower

available from the same 12 volts

in a slightly different 'container'

40....dollars

Granted it's not a 'headlight' - however let's not split hairs about it, I think the point is clear:

corporate...douchebagism

Fasto,

That ain't only limited production cars. Honda Civics are 500, Toyota Tacomas are 500, even Chevy Saturns are VERY high priced, as are '87 Ford F-150s.

You need them, they will supply them, you will pay for them, or you put a tractor headlight on the fender.

Sorry, that is the way it is.
Sir, I am certainly *not* complaining about the $500 for the headlight. I was pointing out that the situation when you have (1) a limited production car that hasn't been made in 15 years; (2) a headlight that is all glass, even the reflectors are mirrored glass; (3) the manufacturer probably made about 2,000 spare headlights to cover production of about 18,000 cars; (4) no new production OE lights are available; and (5) demand is insufficient to warrant aftermarket production, that one can expect to pay premium prices.
Recently a Greman firm has started with reproduction headlights at a much more reasonable price. I refused to buy the ebone Chinese rubbish that passes as headlights - it may not even have been available when I needed the headlight, perhaps 5 years ago.

Ok guys, how much of that vette is made in china and mexico?

Assembled here doesn't mean shit to me. I don't care about the union guy's 30/hr to work on the line - I care about the guy at the foundry that actually cares that the alloy's mixture is right and the part meets spec when it goes out the door.

You can assemble garbage anywhere in the world and it doesn't change what you end up with.

US automakers have done this to themselves. The unions wanted fat pensions and that just drove the costs up and made the execs source ever cheaper parts wherever they could. The end result is all of them are hosed because no one trusts their merchandise with 40K of our hard earned money. Then GM cut prices and sales skyrocketed. The greed was killing them. To some of us, they're already dead.

US automakers have done this to themselves. The unions wanted fat pensions and that just drove the costs up and made the execs source ever cheaper parts wherever they could. The end result is all of them are hosed because no one trusts their merchandise with 40K of our hard earned money. Then GM cut prices and sales skyrocketed. The greed was killing them. To some of us, they're already dead.

um....if the automakers did it to themselves, why mention the union in the next breath? piss-poor design and ungodly markup for the profit margin was the bulk of the problem, not the guy out on the shop floor assembling what he was told to assemble, with parts he was told to use......remember, it doesn't really matter how much skill and dedication you put in to shining a piece of crap, it's still just a shiny piece of crap.....or are you going to fall for the old management propaganda that it's all the working man's fault? because we all know how dedicated big business is to anything but their own bottom line.....

Back