What's new
What's new

Conversion from red grease to HALO - Oil lube

corednc

Aluminum
I have a VF4 with red grease, Haas recently released a conversion kit (93-2755A) to oil lube and I am wondering if anybody has done it? It requires changing the restrictors on the trucks and I am trying to see if it can be done without removing the table. Can you get two wrenches in there and still be able to turn them?
I was thinking about getting some wrenches from harbor freight and grinding them down to the bare minimum.

The price of the conversion kit is currently $800 in case you were wondering.

Cut a 3/8 wrench in half, and then cut a slit into the closed end so you can get it over the copper tube. It will fit but it's very tight.

I just changed over all 15 orifices and still am not getting oil everywhere... the truck is clogged on one side and free on the other so I'm not sure how to unclog it now. Path of least resistance and whatnot.

I just had my 2017 VF-2SS converted to HALO. Nasty labor bill for purging all the lines, but verified flow to all linear guides and ballscrews. However, the pressure drop after the lube cycle is too fast and sets off the low lube every cycle (followed by lube empty despite the container being completely full). Any one else experience this after the conversion?

I just had my 2017 VF-2SS converted to HALO. Nasty labor bill for purging all the lines, but verified flow to all linear guides and ballscrews. However, the pressure drop after the lube cycle is too fast and sets off the low lube every cycle (followed by lube empty despite the container being completely full). Any one else experience this after the conversion?
I had that randomly; a couple times a day at first, then once a day, then once every few days, then after a couple months it stopped. HFO said it was air in the lines, since I let the grease run out before I did the oil conversion.

I had that randomly; a couple times a day at first, then once a day, then once every few days, then after a couple months it stopped. HFO said it was air in the lines, since I let the grease run out before I did the oil conversion.
It happens every lube cycle since the purge and replace. hasn't gotten better since the service. I have a tech scheduled to diagnose.

$145. for a gallon of oil
This is just pure stupidity.

DMG Mori has been using DTE24 (ISO 32) or equivalent hydraulic oil as their primary lubricant in all of their linear/roller guide machines for ages. $145 buys five gallons of the stuff. Zero issues.

The oil Haas is recommending is an ISO 1000 gear oil. Pretty thick and tacky, but otherwise nothing special. Generic versions are about $50/gallon. The engineers there are shooting at the hip. By now they've gone through red, purple, and tan grease. Fourth time's the charm? I think not.

Considering how many people are running machines with clogged lubed lines, ANY oil at this point is better than nothing.

If you run thinner oil, you'll go through a bit more and some of it might end up on the ground. Here's the miracle solution to that problem:

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 2.03.17 PM.png

It happens every lube cycle since the purge and replace. hasn't gotten better since the service. I have a tech scheduled to diagnose.
Good news, it was just a line that popped off the fitting. Put it all back together (a little tighter this time) and everything is working properly.

Good news, it was just a line that popped off the fitting. Put it all back together (a little tighter this time) and everything is working properly.
We just got the patches today for the oil conversions and so far no residual pressure / no pressure detected alarms. Just dropping that bit of information in case someone else is having those issues.

I have to ask the obvious question: my buddy's VF-5 has the red grease lube system for the trucks and a Bijur pump for the spindle. My VF-2 used the Bijur pump for everything. Why don't they simply install the old-style plumbing and restrictors and revert to the old lube system?

Back