What's new
What's new

Convert V belt to flat belt 1963 10k UMD

ajroland67

Plastic
I'm trying to restore a 1963 10k UMD. It currently has a v belt 4 step pulley. The pulley has marred up gear teeth and needs replacing. I haven't found a suitable replacement and don't want to spend the $400 ebay price for the pulley. My question is can someone offer me advice on converting my lathe to a flat belt set up. The required pulleys seem much more affordable. Would I need to change anything underneath on the motor except the pulley? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

thanks,
Tony

The gear teeth on left of photo have issues. I'm thinking this is all one piece. It appears to be. Unless, I've overlooked something.

Attachments

• PXL_20220706_205445326~2.jpg
    PXL_20220706_205445326~2.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 12
Those teeth don’t look that bad. I would clean them well with a tooth brush sized metal brush. Take any high spots off with a small file or stone.

I think the gear is pressed on to the pulley but I could be wrong. I have a heavy 10 pulley where that gear is brass and for sure pressed on/in.

If you don’t spend much time in back gear it will probably work just fine. Put a 3 phase motor on it with a VFD and you could probably really reduce back gear use by slowing the motor.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Those teeth don’t look that bad. I would clean them well with a tooth brush sized metal brush. Take any high spots off with a small file or stone.

I think the gear is pressed on to the pulley but I could be wrong. I have a heavy 10 pulley where that gear is brass and for sure pressed on/in.

If you don’t spend much time in back gear it will probably work just fine. Put a 3 phase motor on it with a VFD and you could probably really reduce back gear use by slowing the motor.

Hope this helps.

Ben
Thanks for the advice. I am planning on putting a three phase motor and vfd. I'm going to try it out keeping the v belt set up. Maybe, it will run better than it looks.

The gear is not part of the pulley - the pulley slides on the shaft with a key to drive the shaft.
V-belts will have better grip, so keep the v-belt.
Also, when you drop the speed on your VFD, you are going to lose torque - having the pulleys will let you get that back.

Back