What's new
What's new

Converting A UK Lathe to US Power

Dishkid

Plastic
Hello,

Recently I Purchased a Used Emcomat 14D Lathe from the UK and initially was told the supplier was going to be sending a transformer with ti to handle the power conversion. Unfortunately that is not the case I would rather not wait for the supplier to send a transformer through customs and would prefer to source one domestically but I am unsure what Is needed. The original intention was a transformer that would take in 220v 3-Phase. Can anyone share some insights?

I believe that standard household electrical service in UK is 230V at 50 Hz. A U.S. standard motor will run in U.K. at 5/6 of its rated speed; a UK motor brought here will run at 120% of its rated speed. I doubt there would be a problem either way.

There is a chance you need to rewire the motor for 230v delta if it is already configured for 400 volts 3phase.

Or run the lathe from 480v 60h 3 phase which is the same as 400v 50hz to the motors.

The control system needs to be investigated

I believe that standard household electrical service in UK is 230V at 50 Hz. A U.S. standard motor will run in U.K. at 5/6 of its rated speed; a UK motor brought here will run at 120% of its rated speed. I doubt there would be a problem either way.
UK to US is no problem, 50 hz almost always is happy at 60.

In the other direction, running 60 hz motors at 50 can overheat them. Coils, too. The current density is higher, which "saturates the core" (better ask a sparky to explain, over my head), creates heat, burns stuff up.

Can't change frequency with a transformer, either. But OP should not have a problem, coming this way just makes everything run 6/5 faster. (Got a couple English machines a while back when the pound dropped and a bunch came to the US. Good bargains to be had, sorry to take advantage, Limy).

I run my 3-phase UK Colchester Chipmaster off a VFD hooked to 60-Hz single phase 240 V. Mostly because I can, I have the VFD set to 50 Hz so the speed dial on the variator reads about right. I rarely vary the VFD frequency, and only downward to get very low speeds when winding springs.

U.K. 400 VAC, 3 Phase, @50 cycles, 4 wire system.
A 3-phase lathe from the U.K should be 400 VAC.

do you think they run the control circuit from line to ground/neutral or would it be phase to phase?

if its all lower voltage (24v or maybe 120v) ac contactors, then the higher frequency and voltage of the usa won't affect them.

but if the control transformer is wired line to ground and someone in the usa runs it from high leg delta on 480, its not going to like the 416 volts when its looking for 277 (277v 60hz is the same as 230v 50hz)

My Harrison m300c lathe runs fine on a vfd. I had to rewire the switches so they are control voltage only. No switches allowed after the vfd
Bill D

Back