What's new
What's new

Convincing the new engineer his idea is a waste of time

trevj

Titanium
I have read (maybe here!) that an Engineer is someone who will climb over a mountain of virgins, so he can fuck a mechanic!

But I am also a firm believer in the MIL SPEC "MIL-TFD-41A"

Make It Like the Effing Drawing For Once, A-hole!

partsproduction

Titanium
Shop policy here is make the part exactly as requested, as there is no upside to making good customers into enemies, not even their employees.

We are going through this even now, a customer asked for gussets welded between the flanges of a reducer they couldn't buy, the outside vendor who does much of our welding refuses to make what the customer asked for, and which he agreed to do, he wants only 4 gussets instead of 8.
Whether or not the extra gussets are needed has nothing to do with whether or not I think the reducer needs it (And how do I know what kind of loads it will have to take?), the customer ok'd the drawings I made at their direction, the welder said he'd do it, so I guess my only recourse is to weld the extra gussets in myself to keep my word.

From now on I'll be asking for assurances from the welder that he isn't going to make changes after we win the bid.

DDoug

Diamond
Shop policy here is make the part exactly as requested, as there is no upside to making good customers into enemies, not even their employees.

We are going through this even now, a customer asked for gussets welded between the flanges of a reducer they couldn't buy, the outside vendor who does much of our welding refuses to make what the customer asked for, and which he agreed to do, he wants only 4 gussets instead of 8.
Whether or not the extra gussets are needed has nothing to do with whether or not I think the reducer needs it (And how do I know what kind of loads it will have to take?), the customer ok'd the drawings I made at their direction, the welder said he'd do it, so I guess my only recourse is to weld the extra gussets in myself to keep my word.

From now on I'll be asking for assurances from the welder that he isn't going to make changes after we win the bid.

I wouldn't even bother awarding the sub bid to that weld shop.
Run away fast.

BoxcarPete

Stainless
I have read (maybe here!) that an Engineer is someone who will climb over a mountain of virgins, so he can fuck a mechanic!

But I am also a firm believer in the MIL SPEC "MIL-TFD-41A"

Make It Like the Effing Drawing For Once, A-hole!

Polite version:

Make it like the full drawing for once, eh?

CarbideBob

Diamond
That's because it's a tautology. If you don't know what you're doing you're not a machinist.
I know what I am doing sometimes rates right up there with "Hold my beer".
As to TeachMePlease knowing his dong that maybe for a different type of website so please do not post pictures.:eek:

The often open war between machinists and engineers is not productive or helpful in any way..... Egos get in the way so politics enter the room.
Bob

TeachMePlease

Diamond
I know what I am doing sometimes rates right up there with "Hold my beer".
As to TeachMePlease knowing his dong that maybe for a different type of website so please do not post pictures.:eek:

The often open war between machinists and engineers is not productive or helpful in any way..... Egos get in the way so politics enter the room.
Bob

I'm a machinist with the title Engineering Technician.... At least the engineers listen to me. Unfortunately, for my Korean mother, just having "Engineering" in my title is not as good as BEING an Engineer.

In a Korean family, you have 4 possible jobs. Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, disappointment to your entire family. Guess which one I am?

AJ H

Hot Rolled
I'm a machinist with the title Engineering Technician.... At least the engineers listen to me. Unfortunately, for my Korean mother, just having "Engineering" in my title is not as good as BEING an Engineer.

In a Korean family, you have 4 possible jobs. Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, disappointment to your entire family. Guess which one I am?

Companies throwing Engineer in every title is getting ridiculous, you can't just be a service or sales person anymore. Have to make them seem special.

TeachMePlease

Diamond
Companies throwing Engineer in every title is getting ridiculous, you can't just be a service or sales person anymore. Have to make them seem special.

I mean, I have an engineering role, I just don't have a degree, so I can't be an engineer so.... :soapbox:

BoxcarPete

Stainless
I mean, I have an engineering role, I just don't have a degree, so I can't be an engineer so.... :soapbox:

Depends on the company. I know a guy who never finished his degree, was stuck at "ENG III" forever, even though he consistently outperformed the "SR ENG" guys. But he was an engineer.

On the other hand, there are tons of guys out there with engineering degrees that are hardly worth the paper they're printed on, so you keep on keepin' on.

FredC

Titanium

TeachMePlease

Diamond
Hi TeachMePlease:
You wrote: "In a Korean family, you have 4 possible jobs. Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, disappointment to your entire family. Guess which one I am?"

Yeah, but you have magnificent hair!
Doesn't that count for something?:D

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Ah, yes, my old fashioned Korean mother very much appreciates my extreme hairstyle. Should have seen her face when she saw my tattoo :D

Mike1974

Diamond

Couple jobs ago I bet we had a 1000 "engineers". Quality engineer, manufacturing engineer...

1yesca

Stainless

that's sad as here in the u.s. that's are main problem we had a glut of them and they decompose and go in to politics . there has to be more Indians then chiefs or it won't work

1yesca

Stainless
Depends on the company. I know a guy who never finished his degree, was stuck at "ENG III" forever, even though he consistently outperformed the "SR ENG" guys. But he was an engineer.

On the other hand, there are tons of guys out there with engineering degrees that are hardly worth the paper they're printed on, so you keep on keepin' on.

remember paper is kind it will take what ever you put on it . in this wizard of oz world we live in . there are people are no smarter then we are the only thing is they have a degree . yup i got one in spelling got it out of a box of cracker jacks .

FredC

Titanium
This is going to be off topic, but I made some business calls in the UK about 25 years ago and saw a number of "engineering shops" while driving. The fellow I was with said they were probably machine shops. So in the UK a machinist is an engineer? I bought some back issue books from the UK "Model Engineer". Seemed to be for advanced hobbyist machinist types.

If so Limy and Camscan are engineers in the home country?

Bill D

Diamond
a sanitation engineer is what used to be called a garbage man. I suppose Sanitation engineer is non-sexist.
A train driver is an engineer.(note they do not steer the train) Does the navy use the term engine hand?
Bill D