What's new
What's new

cool optical/lens grinding video

ballen

Titanium
I thought this was fantastic. A guy in the Netherlands grinds miniature Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes at home, almost entirely by hand, out of a single cylinder of optical glass. These are used in space satellites. The precision and alignment of the four curved surfaces he is creating is a fraction of the wavelength of light, around 40 nanometers, which is slightly less than 2 millionths of an inch.

Why is this Space Telescope so Tiny? - YouTube

Making a Monolithic Telescope Part 1: Optical Design and Aspherics. - YouTube

Making a Monolithic Telescope Part 2: Machining Glass - YouTube

Richard King

Diamond
A friend Bill Volna who knew my Dad who was younger when they met was an optical engineer at Honeywell. He has been retired for years but makes Telescopes from scratch. He is in his late 80's now but has a great website. look at the left of the site and click on the Tardis, he shows off his work. He spent a winter down in the south pole with his portable telescope when the one down there went off line. I like to introduce him to local students as he has forgot more then most will ever know. Volna Engineering Facility

Kingbob

Hot Rolled
A friend Bill Volna who knew my Dad who was younger when they met was an optical engineer at Honeywell. He has been retired for years but makes Telescopes from scratch. He is in his late 80's now but has a great website. look at the left of the site and click on the Tardis, he shows off his work. He spent a winter down in the south pole with his portable telescope when the one down there went off line. I like to introduce him to local students as he has forgot more then most will ever know. Volna Engineering Facility

What a privilege that was reading through you friend Bill's website, thanks for posting.