What's new
What's new

Coolant filter

I plumbed a 'whole house water filter' on my mill and it's been working very well for the last two years or so. I got mine from McMaster (don't remember the PN, sorry), and am using 20 micron filters. The 5 micron filters plug up almost instantly, but I think you could plumb two inline with each other with the 5 micron last if you really wanted to.

I put a pressure gauge on both sides of the filter which is nice because I can diagnose pump problems and sump filters early instead of not knowing anything until coolant flow stops completely. Likewise I can tell when the filter needs to be changed.

The whole thing cost in the area of $40 if I remember correctly.

Tonytn36

Diamond
We use #2 bag filters from Filtration Systems. Bags are cheap, system is dead reliable. You can get whatever filter size you need. We use 200 micron because of our Si.

Products
NS122 would be a #2 housing in carbon steel, rated for 150 PSI. These have 1-1/4" inlet/outlets.

Spencer in NH

Stainless
Actually, I have one of their coolant cleaning systems. It runs at night, and does a great job. So, I am inclined toward their products anyway. But, I am keeping an open mind.

(BTW, PixMan... in new location, and you are welcome to visit. One town north of where I was. Shop not quite active yet.)

SteveinAZ

Stainless
We use #2 bag filters from Filtration Systems. Bags are cheap, system is dead reliable. You can get whatever filter size you need. We use 200 micron because of our Si.

Products
NS122 would be a #2 housing in carbon steel, rated for 150 PSI. These have 1-1/4" inlet/outlets.

I'd second the Filtration Systems bag housings over all other bag filter housings. In a previous life we used them for filtering aluminum fines from a solvent degreasing system...definitely do not want leaks in a 240 degree perchlorethylene system. Again, best bag housing out there.

The industry size #2 bag is big ~7" x 30" IIRC, so you could extend your bag change out quite a bit. There is also a #1 bag which is half as tall, but the housing and bags are almost as much $, so just get the larger one.

I believe Keller makes (or markets someones???) bag filter also, but what I recall seeing on line was not as nice as the Filtration Systems stuff.

Steve