What's new
What's new

Coolant filters?

shopvak

Plastic
Do many people use coolant filters on their machines? I have 3 CNC mills with no filter system. I mostly machine aluminum and when I change out coolant and put in fresh, It don't take long to turn if from a transparent color to a white milky color. When cleaning the coolant tanks I notice a fine aluminum paste buildup in the chip trays.

Anyway, I was thinking about installing some home water filters in line to see if it would filter out the particles that build up in the coolant. I was wondering if other people have tried this and if it would plug fast?

I would guess they would plug pretty quickly if you are running a lot of aluminum, the 12" or so long filters just do not have much surface area. I think you would be much better off with a bag filter, a "#2" industry size is about 7" dia x 30" long, but the canister is pretty expensive, but in the long run probably worth it. Another option is a large pleated style filter, but then again, quite expensive up front. The industrial filters are available in all sorts of micron ratings, so you can pull most anything out of a machine sump.

Steve

This has been up for topic a couple times in the time I've been on PM. Might want to do a search.

If you do put a filter on, I recommend a pressure gage before and after it so you can monitor when to clean/change your filter.

Rosie

I have put the bag filters on a cpl of machines.

I have one on an Acme and it is a smaller size. I run a course filter in it and it will last a day and a half I think? (LOT more chips floating around in a multispindle screw machine than a CNC lathe!) I needed something to keep from plugging my oil hole drills. I also run two guages - one on either side of the filter. Then not only doo you have a little warning that things are gunna need changed soon - but also lets you diagnose if your having other issues - or if simply the filter is plugged.

I have a cpl of those bigger bag filters on some lathes and while those machines don't run much - I have yet to change the filters.

I like the big filters if your having eny problems.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

.....Anyway, I was thinking about installing some home water filters in line to see if it would filter out the particles that build up in the coolant. I was wondering if other people have tried this and if it would plug fast?

I have 23 machines running aluminum or leaded steel with the home water system filters from The Home Depot; average filter life is three months or more.

One thing we did discover is that some of the filter cartridges give up the ghost very quickly. The fibre woven type seem to be best but the ones that are a plastic foam material do not last as long. I think some filter types are made of a material that swells when it is in contact with coolant.

I have 23 machines running aluminum or leaded steel with the home water system filters from The Home Depot; average filter life is three months or more.

One thing we did discover is that some of the filter cartridges give up the ghost very quickly. The fibre woven type seem to be best but the ones that are a plastic foam material do not last as long. I think some filter types are made of a material that swells when it is in contact with coolant.

+1 that is what we use.:smoking:

Would that setup filter out the iron before heading into the worshing machine?

Wifey wants me to have a new game plan before that detrimental day comes.

Mostly a hot water line issue for some reason? Rusts up at the intake screen.

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, yep they are supposed to catch iron...maybe look at the label as far as micron rating to catch iron particles. Then again, no one at HD probably even knows what a micron is...they may send you for some pest control spray.

Steve

We use the #2 bag filters on all of our equipment. You would not believe what a difference in tool life it made. Imagine, with all the crap that's in the bottom of the tank, what's actually getting pushed through the pump and right back out on your tool while it's cutting.
We have settled on 200 micron bag filters for 99% of our applications. The only odd balls are the high pressure CTS machines where we use a 25 micron bag. This saves the $100 pleated filters.
On roughing machines, about 1 bag / 60,000 parts or so, and about 30,000 or so on the finishing / multi-op machines.

.....Mostly a hot water line issue for some reason? Rusts up at the intake screen.

--------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Mostly because it is your hot water tank rusting away.:)

Rust in the intake screen is not the big problem; the big problem is hot rusty water outside of where it should be when too much of the tank has transferred itself to the intake screen.

In my experience the normal time to expect the water tank to start leaking is a few minutes after you have left the house for a long vacation. Murphy just prepares a nice surprise for your return.

Hmmm - Quite likely now that you say that.

Took me a few seconds to git on track with where you were headin' - but I'm aboard now. ;)

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We use a reynolds filter housing. About 4" diameter and 12" long. We also use 10 micron filter bags. They last a couple of weeks each. The housing was a few hundred dollars, but the bags are about $2.00 ea.
They work really well, we put them in before our high pressure coolant system.

Back