What's new
What's new

Coolant Filtration

William Ward

Cast Iron
How many of you filter the coolant on the machine?
If you do, did the machine come equipped with filters, or did you retrofit something to do the job? As you might guess this question is related to the spindle speeder question. My biggest concern is plugging the coolant lines on the geared speeders and keeping the amount of aluminum fines out of the coolant as well.

The next related question is what do you all use for general purpose coolant on aluminum. I am currently using a full synthetic that is really formulated as a grinding fluid. The first batch was free and it does not ever seem to go bad. But it does have some staining "issues". It works well but I think I want something that does not stain so much.
Thanks for all of the help. This is the first place I look for machining answers.

P.S. My wife is extremely impressed with the level of assistance that we find here and the way that the site itself works.

wippin' boy

Diamond
i use plain old canester type bag filters on some of my lathes. you can get them from www.mcmastercarr.com and get any bag you want from a sreen like in a window down to 10 micron. Just depends on your threashold for changing bags. The systems are good to about 200psi.

ARB

Titanium
I use your basic undersink water filter that you would get at the hardware store. I have found that 30 to 50 micron string wound elements work the best for me.

Currently I machine lots of cast aluminum and the filter seams to keep things clean. When ever I check it there is plenty of black stuff in the element.

Where it makes the biggest difference is when machining plastic. The plastic chips make there way into the coolant system and can clog your lines. The filter takes care of that.

For what its worth, I run Blaser SwissLube Blasocut 2000 MD. No staining and better cutter life than my previous coolant.

ARB

doug925

Titanium
I too use the Hardware Store (big Orange Box) purchased filter cannisters, and filters.
I buy the 50 micron ones, that are about $6.00 for 2 filters.
The way my machine runs coolant thru the spindle casing can be troublesome without the filter.
I use Hangstefers (sp?) S-500 as the general all around coolant. We machine mainly alum, ss, steel, and plastics.
No major problems.
Best of luck,
Doug.

D. Rey

Titanium
So how do you guys route the plumbing? From the pump to the filter and out the spout or go from the collection to filter and then tank?

HuFlungDung

Diamond
A 50 micron filter sounds pretty coarse, doesn't it? I use a 5 micron final filter (after the settling tank) on my cnc lathe, especially when I am machining hot rolled rounds, which are quite dirty. The filter does not last indefinitely, but it does remove the light iron from the mix.

On my Haas, I use a coarse filter, like a furnace filter material, laying in the main chip strainer, and cover that with a piece of window screen. I don't actually have a filter after the pump, but if I did, it would be a 5 micron, I think.

ARB

Titanium
HU,
It is pretty hard to push much through a 5 micron filter. That is where I started. Maybe with a newer machine with a higher HP pump. My puunny .25 hP pump won't do it. :rolleyes: I just get a trickle. I also have a home made version of the Chip Trap that is peddled on Ebay. I use some holofill cushion material that we have at work.That made the single biggest difference in my sump cleanliness.

ARB

D. Rey

Titanium
What kind of effect does the filter have on coolant pressure at 30 microns, can you tell there is a little flow restriction or is it just as good as no filter?

doug925

Titanium
My pump will push thru a 5 micron, but not huge amounts of GPH.
I use the 50 b/c it can run full force thru, and they are cheap.

I am doing this only to get rid of small-medium sized chunks that would clog up the area around my spindle cartride where the coolant goes.
Anygood sized shaving will get in there and shut down the GPH.
uncloging it woulod require removing the spindle from the head of the machine.
(not a fun job, trust me I know :( )

Doug.

William Ward

Cast Iron
Thanks guys!!
This is just the kind of information I was looking for. I think I will start with the filters from the big orange box and then see if I need to up the horsepower on the pump. I've already considered doing that anyway because I don't get real great pressure out of what I have.

[email protected]

Stainless
It's one thing to filter your coolant, when you're worried about it plugging up small orifices, but what about the micro-fines that are suspended in the coolant. I machine cast iron, along with standard steel in my lathe, and worry about the slurry I'm sucking up and spreading on the ways of my machine. Am I worried about nothing, or are the fines that are suspended in the coolant, a concern for the rest of you? With quite a few seperate coolant tanks, I'm almost considering getting some sort of sump cleaner. I know for fine finishes in grinders, running coolant through filters and seperators is a neccesity.

ARB

Titanium
Brian,
That can be a concern. Alot of suspended fines can create cutter life issues not to mention basic sump cleanliness. I think that if you want to get rid of fines you would want a dedicated filter system to deal with that issue. One that would run independent of your coolant pump. Then running through a more restrictive filter would not effect your coolant pressure. There are a bunch of high priced solutions on the market but I would think that with a little thought you could come up with a package that would work for a couple hundred bucks. Less if you are a good scrounger ;) .

ARB