What's new
What's new

could get this cheap, bad idea?

Cleancut

Aluminum
Hi guys, I might be able to get a 415V 3 phase 16x50 Colchester Triumph Varible speed lathe cheap , buts its 415v 3 phase. I can change the motor to 240V 3 phase and use an inverter but im wondering if some of the internal wiring for the VS unit would be a problem? perhaps it could be bypassed?

maybe more trouble then its worth?

check it out:

Browse items for sale: Closed bidding

true, just thinking its nice and heavy, quality - and could be very cheap....but ya - probably way overkill.

You'd better hurry up and decide!

I would pass for one reason: The listing indicates that it was working when removed from service, but is currently stored outside and has been "exposed to snow and harsh conditions" for an indeterminate amount of time. Without the chance to go inspect it, I would personally let it go. On the other hand, if $500 is actually the current high bid, that is really cheap, so if you're willing to take the risk go for it.

I can't help you on the electrics but judging by the pictures it looks to be in pretty decent shape even with the outdoor storage. It's location is listed as Dept of National Defense so it may have been well cared for. If the pictures are accurate it is cosmetically better looking than anything I have seen at vocational school auctions. Looks like you have 20 minutes to make up your mind.

The variable speed control is likely on low voltage supplied through a transformer and should have taps for 220 use. That is a fairly late model machine and cost a fortune new so it would be on my short list to make a move and get it.
Dan

That's quite a big machine for hobby use. Do you really need to swing 15"? What about turning that 1/2" bushing to size?

You can make little parts on a big machine but you can't make big parts on a little machine. There are ways to work
around the size. A good collet chuck, a small precise 3-jaw or 4-jaw will handle small parts just fine.

That machine is about 40 miles from him--just not gonna get any better than that...

The exposed to snow and hard conditions would be a turn off for me.

The modern Colchester lathes with variable speed that I have used have only 3 geared speed ranges, with the rest achieved with the variable speed motor. Not my preferred option. But bypassing variable speed will make it the most useless lathe ever, well almost.

My hobby lathe has 10hp and swings 12” over the cross slide. It is adequate.

That's quite a big machine for hobby use. Do you really need to swing 15"? What about turning that 1/2" bushing to size?

Are you by chance selling the standard modern you've been promoting?

I would jump all over that Colchester if he can actually get it. It's head and shoulders above every thing else he has looked at....i think i did understand you to say go for a quality lathe.

Are you by chance selling the standard modern you've been promoting?

I would jump all over that Colchester if he can actually get it. It's head and shoulders above every thing else he has looked at....i think i did understand you to say go for a quality lathe.

Nope, I'm at the other end of the country. I guess 15" swing and a 4000 lb. machine could be used for hobby use but it wouldn't be my first choice...

You'd better hurry up and decide!

I would pass for one reason: The listing indicates that it was working when removed from service, but is currently stored outside and has been "exposed to snow and harsh conditions" for an indeterminate amount of time. Without the chance to go inspect it, I would personally let it go. On the other hand, if $500 is actually the current high bid, that is really cheap, so if you're willing to take the risk go for it.

The opening bid is $500, it’s a sealed bid! You won’t know what bids have been placed until the auction has closed!

Unlikely that machine will go cheap?

Kevin

The opening bid is $500, it’s a sealed bid! You won’t know what bids have been placed until the auction has closed!

Unlikely that machine will go cheap?

Kevin

Just noticed the closing date of the auction! I had to login to see the results.......wasn’t cheap IMHO? They have sold several of these lathes in the past few months?

The problem with these auctions from the government, here and Canada, the sellers don’t disclose when the pictures were taken, or when the machine was moved outside?

If it’s too far away to do an actual inspection, then it’s a crapshoot of what you will end up with!

Kevin

Just noticed the closing date of the auction! I had to login to see the results.......wasn’t cheap IMHO? They have sold several of these lathes in the past few months?

The problem with these auctions from the government, here and Canada, the sellers don’t disclose when the pictures were taken, or when the machine was moved outside?

If it’s too far away to do an actual inspection, then it’s a crapshoot of what you will end up with!

Kevin

So, what did it sell for?

My thoughts exactly; the turn off some have to large machines is space, understandable but when it comes to cost unreasonable. Those interim sizes go for little money when dealers aren't involved, due trepidation of private use. Another portion is adverse to large machines, safety wise. A dinky Atlas will show up for 3x the cost and be gone in hours. Some guy with a pickup snatches it and you're still looking.
The real context is like real estate; not location it's tooling, tooling, tooling. It is NOT a deal unless you have whatever D1-6, 5C, and CA holders it needs to hold and run material. If the machine uses popular tooling the impact is less severe, and you acquire in time considering use and cost. Concern over a half inch bushing doesn't stop me in the 16" 9000 pound Pacemaker, with multiple choices of workholding. Or a 13" x 20" square block of tool steel for swaging dies, or a 9' propeller shaft. Small parts are easy, and no such thing as scrap until you can't chuck and work it.
And that's that.

I'll PS myself.
When the shop after swaging dies approached me, I did not have a lathe, one where I worked too small, couldn't even find a machine to rent time on. Only thing I did have was a guaranteed contract and decent lead time. So, I dove deeper into finding a lathe than what I'd covered just days before.
The size of the dies, and clamps restraining them shut was a significant swing. A lot of so called large machines couldn't handle the configuration over the cross slide. I know Pacemakers well enough to regard them for the treasure they are. For my work, lathes are two flavors; tooling or shaft machines. Monarch have always been a go-to but most models lack a broad speed range, suitable for the crazy long between the centers they build around; shaft lathes.
I can only have one lathe [so far], and concerning shafts, outboard supports aren't tough to build...
If I'd seen the Canadian Colchester, my wheels would've possibly spun, even not being a favorite machine badge. I'm 5'7'' and 165 dripping wet with pockets full of nickels, but some machines have the worst ergonomics. That's one of them.
Believe it or not, there are worse. They stuck me in front of a chinesium POS once. That's where the derisive "lathe shaped object" phrase had me in stitches. Like a drip pan directly plumb with front of carriage. Holy crap, who was asleep in 3rd grade physics, or not paid attention to roofing and gutters???
WTF? That shop ran all kinds of stainless, custom work but productive environment, which IIRC likes RPM & coolant.

Back