What's new
What's new

Could You Please Help Identify This 56T Threading Gear?

Metal-Masher

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I think its a South Bend, but it doesn't fit my 9-inch SB due to the large 5/8" ID.

The key cut profile, and the small holes are different than my other 9-inch SB gears also.

Does someone know what the application for this gear is?

Many thanks,
Alex

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg

It's a regular SB 18DP gear as used on the workshop series 9"

Someone just did a terrible bung up job on it....shame because it looks to be in otherwise nice shape...good news is you can bore it out, and press in a new sleeve with a 9/16" bore and 1/8" key way and you will have a fine gear...loctite and Dutchman pin the new sleeve in.

It's a regular SB 18DP gear as used on the workshop series 9"

Someone just did a terrible bung up job on it....shame because it looks to be in otherwise nice shape...good news is you can bore it out, and press in a new sleeve with a 9/16" bore and 1/8" key way and you will have a fine gear...loctite and Dutchman pin the new sleeve in.

I think you're right. Its a good idea to sleeve it...it sure beats tossing the gear out.

The sleeve itself sounds easy enough to make, but the keyway may be above my skill (and equipment) level at this time.
Are these sleeves available off-the-shelf somewhere?

Don't sell yourself short.

You can simply file that key way. It's only 1/8"x3/8" long.

No biggie if you trash a couple sleeves before you get it right.

It's rather simple to cut a keyway with just a boring bar and your carriage. It's a poor man's shaper. Put the correct profile bit in the bar, set where you want the slot, then advance the carriage by hand thru the hole to remove ~ 0.002". Move the cross slide out another 0.002" and move the carriage again, cutting another 0.002" out. Repeat, lather, rinse, until you have reached your desired depth. The lathe is NOT running while performing this operation and the spindle is locked in one position.

It's rather simple to cut a keyway with just a boring bar and your carriage. It's a poor man's shaper. Put the correct profile bit in the bar, set where you want the slot, then advance the carriage by hand thru the hole to remove ~ 0.002". Move the cross slide out another 0.002" and move the carriage again, cutting another 0.002" out. Repeat, lather, rinse, until you have reached your desired depth. The lathe is NOT running while performing this operation and the spindle is locked in one position.
I have used this method a few times myself, and while not the "best" way to do it, when it's all you have, it's a perfectly acceptable way of accurately putting in a key way.

Don

Back