What's new
What's new

Crash into sub spindle on new Smooth G Mazak. No big deal.

Scruffy887

Titanium
Proving out a new program last evening. All OK main spindle buy after the bar pull with sub, the cutoff holder looked very close to the spinning sub jaws. Feed hold with Flashlight and looked to be just enough room to complete the cutoff Not! But the "crash" was a very slight rub, very quiet too. It went into overload before I could hit feed hold, and my finger was on the button! Very slight rub mark on the jaws, tiny burr on one of them.
I am guessing the control may know the amount of power required for the cutoff tool and shut it down. For sure there are many operations that require more current draw than a cutoff in acetal rod.

The sawstop brand table saw has some kind of sensor to detect when a hand is too near the blade. I think it may be capacitance? Damp wood or cutting nails may trip it off as well Normally a single small staple will not trip it off.
Seems like similar could be done on a lathe but on a wood saw the wood is not conductive so that probably makes it much easier to do.
Bill D

How do you like the lathe? Is it one of the new EZ series machines? I am contemplating getting a new Mazak lathe. At least live tooled and y-axis. But will probably end up with sub-spindle as well.

How do you like the lathe? Is it one of the new EZ series machines? I am contemplating getting a new Mazak lathe. At least live tooled and y-axis. But will probably end up with sub-spindle as well.

I really like the Smooth G lathe and the Mazatrol part is so much easier (once you get used to the interface) and it will even draw a 3d part as you add Mazatrol units. If the feature you added does not show up you made a mistake somewhere in the unit description. Very different from my older lathes. The control panel is also easier to use with a stool for those of us who have problems staying on our feet.

Almost forgot, they cost more without the Y axis. And not sure if ridged tapping with the live tools is standard or not, but I love that feature. I even use it tapping on the center line because it is faster than with the main spindle.

What the heck are you doing Scruffy?

1) Mazak doesn't make a SmoothG lathe...that is the control, you can get different controls on the same machine
2) If running in Mazatrol there are safety barriers galore. Hell I have trouble with the thing trying to set up a new tool if I don't have the program loaded in first so it knows what I am working with.
3) you program what jaws you are using in the setup info menu. Is there one for the Sub as well or just the main?

I have rubbed jaws etc but because I couldn't see for shit(crappy machine) OR the machine did a move I didn't take into account really, so running tool comp will have it do a pull away move etc by enough on a chamfer to make correct size chamfer with certain size tool nose radius. I hate Maztrol for the fact that I CAN'T tell it EVERY MOVE I want it to do. I need to trust it to do a pull away etc, safety clearance, tool change position etc

Anyways, learn the machine and read the manual which is is also on the Hard drive of the controller.

What the heck are you doing Scruffy?

1) Mazak doesn't make a SmoothG lathe...that is the control, you can get different controls on the same machine
2) If running in Mazatrol there are safety barriers galore. Hell I have trouble with the thing trying to set up a new tool if I don't have the program loaded in first so it knows what I am working with.
3) you program what jaws you are using in the setup info menu. Is there one for the Sub as well or just the main?

I have rubbed jaws etc but because I couldn't see for shit(crappy machine) OR the machine did a move I didn't take into account really, so running tool comp will have it do a pull away move etc by enough on a chamfer to make correct size chamfer with certain size tool nose radius. I hate Maztrol for the fact that I CAN'T tell it EVERY MOVE I want it to do. I need to trust it to do a pull away etc, safety clearance, tool change position etc

Anyways, learn the machine and read the manual which is is also on the Hard drive of the controller.

LMAO!!!!!
I use only Mazatrol and I am a manufacturer. I make products, not parts. Barriers know jaw sizes and shapes, stepped, whatever. Also know the tools. My 3 lathes all have sub spindles so the 12 station turret can have 24 tools? Really? Nope. Station 1A can have a Tom Thumb sized boring tool for main spindle, maybe a 1B floating tap for sub spindle. Yeah, can also have a 1C Long Johnson boring bar described as well. Barriers will see all and PITA. Shut barriers off and make parts. I put that on the setup sheet.
I aced the class in 1999 on the lathe Fusion control. But no time available to take a class on new machines, smooth mill or lathe. But not a problem.
The biggest issue I have at present is going back to the machines with the Fusion controls. The smooth machines are so new that I am writing so many new programs, spending a lot of time on them. When I run the Fusion machines I need to hunt for the buttons I need. Muscle Memory re programmed.

Oh, totally do not like the new manual on the hard drive. When I got stuck with the transfer my 1999 manual was what helped me get it done.

You listed the few reasons I hate mazatrol ironically...1B doesn't mean shit really :willy_nilly:

Also I am a tangible guy and like the book manual also, but the cool thing is is that you can do a search real quick just like on a computer using "find" . Just type in a code or paramter you want to look up to see if it is the same as in fusion controller etc.

Also it has a "virtual machining" preview which is kinda cool but don't know how much it really helps with potential crashes.

I am not sure the difference in their workings, but the virtual machining will identify conflicts that the 2d toolpath animation will not. One that sticks out in my head is seeing the virtual tool turn red while making a cut that had some kind of interference.

Oh, totally do not like the new manual on the hard drive. When I got stuck with the transfer my 1999 manual was what helped me get it done.

The manual thing chaps my ass, too. Spend $100k+ on a machine and can't get a paper manual or even a copy of the PDFs before the machine arrives. Mazak quoted $900 or something to provide a paper copy of the manuals.

It's nice to have the PDFs on the hard drive, but they sure as heck should at least make the PDFs available in advance. Like Scruffy, I am also a product manufacturer. So the machines are one small step to making my products. I don't live and breathe machine and even machine shop stuff, so the opportunity to read the fine manual before the machine hits the ground is missed.

Back