What's new
What's new

Creating a decision tree for internal customer so they can decide what work to send me and what work to outsource.

Did you mention lead-time estimates at your meeting? For me, that would have been the first words out of my mouth
yep, absolutely that was first topic of discussion. and come to find out that we have not even missed any deadlines yet. So I was thinking what are we even talking about then. But the issue they have with completion dates and estimated due dates. Is everyone is just guessing. The way it works is. Do the project for as little and as fast as you can and then at the end we will see how much time and money it cost. Which sounds ok on one level. But when I am dealing with dozens of projects with this same mentality it is impossible to prioritize one over another.

The capital people didn’t want their money taken since they didn’t care about operational costs.
Yes, totally agree that is what happens where I work. it is insane to me. But I do not run a global multi billion dollar organization. So I guess I cant understand how or why they do accounting the way they do.

Well, at this point I guess I am just keeping this thread going for my own sanity and to just organize my thoughts. Let me know if I am miss using or abusing this forum. I do believe my trials and tribulations do somewhat relate to shop ownership.

So old manager has retired. New manager seems like a go getter. Probably your typical will be promoted to bigger position in 2 years sort of guy. Seems good enough so far. He has lots of ideas but is practical enough to understand he cannot just change everything all at once. However he is fairly new to the organization in general and I think he will soon find out the insanity of our bureaucracy will just crush whatever he thinks he can accomplish.

Here is the latest WTF moment in my job. So remember I had the big meeting and the big boss spouted off about how my primary objective is not to be available at a moments notice for unforeseen needs and I should not be expected to disrupt other commitments. Well this same guy told me 2 days ago that I need to give any and all request for safety guarding's to be made my top priority and full attention. And they have a deadline of this Friday to get into compliance with our safety people. Apparently there was an audit in some other building that I do not work in and they have until Friday.
So I gather up every bit of clear acrylic sheet I have laying around and tell them I will do what I can. Then I go though my reqs and confirm that I would be able to finish all of the guards by Friday with what I have. And have ordered more material for any upcoming urgent guarding needs. Then I start getting more request for these types of guards. Then it gets to the point that I will not have enough material on hand to get everything done by Friday.

I always keep extra material as much as I can. and have argued with management in the past about it because they do not like having the money tied up and tell me I need to start "wildling down" my stock pile. And here we are. my stock pile was not enough.

So I do the right thing and clearly communicate that I have finished what I have committed to. and am working on more but will not be able to fulfil all of the request that have just come in by Friday due to material shortage.

The big boss' response was priceless. He simply said, "OK so we will not meet our commitment to EHS and I will need to let them know to get an extension".

No I understand I may be getting a little over sensitive. But in light of everything else. I find it telling how he chooses his words.
"We" will not meet "our"? "commitment"? ha. It is just another example of how shit rolls down hill and I am at the bottom. I did in fact meet my commitment. Any other commitment that was made I have no information on or to whom. And what was our overall goal to meet this commitment? And then what was the plan to accomplish it? No just a simple. So you cant do what you said. Now benefit of the doubt. perhaps he is not just pointing a finger at me. But the wording and the attitude is what that suggest to me. In reality. Who was the manager of that area that had an audit finding? Who was his manager that makes sure he does his job? How would we make sure we don't have such a finding in the future? But no. The answer is. We have a guy that can fix it and do anything. Then oh he couldn't do it. I constantly feel like I am being set up to fail. And perhaps our entire department is being set up.

But I digress. I truly am focusing on the positive these days. The air is clean, I have my health, I have a bit of money in the bank. And in reality. Non of this matters in the slightest. Some dip shits who dont know how to do their job but have gotten very good at passing the blame. Does not impact my happiness or life or what matters in it at all.

To anyone still following. I appreciate you putting up with my constant ramblings and he said, he said scenarios.

One thing to consider is he may have been referring to "we" as a company will no be able to meet the deadline. Or not I wasn't there to read the inflection like you.

I wasn't there to read the inflection like you.
LOL, yes, I am definitely reading into the inflection that is just in my head. I recognize I am being overly sensitive here. Or perhaps he meant the royal WE.

I think I just have an issue with this specific manager. I have little respect for those who do not take ownership or accountability. And that seems to be the style of management around here. And perhaps it is not totally their fault. In order for them to survive and keep the job. They are constantly taking blame for things they do not control. So they pass some of that along down the chain. Just to keep a little heat off of them selves.

The bigger picture has me puzzled as well. A multi billion dollar corporation. Some how does not have the resources to accomplish getting some safety guards made in a few days. I mean. All of this falls solely on one mans shoulders? One small one man under capable and under funded machine shop. Either this is not a high priority for the company. Or the company is not putting enough resources into what they deem as high priority. Or worse yet. They do not know what to put resources into because they do not know what will be deemed high priority next.

But sun shine and rainbows for me here on out. I have clean air to breath and a smile on my face. All of these things are the least important in my life.

There was a local printing company that had a similar maintenance/ proto shop.
Things got real hectic, and finally the maintenance machinist was given a different hat to wear.
He would take the jobs, and designs, etc. , look them over and get quotes from different shops to build the stuff.
If necessary, he would go in person and explain the use, design, and quirks of the apparatus in the drawings.
This was a full time job
He would keep the easy stuff and do a few simple parts himself.
Also, he would do repairs. If they needed a keyway repaired, holes drilled, heli-coils, etc.
It worked well, and went smooth.
They eventually merged with another company.
The new plant manager came in with all of his (great) ideas.
He couldn't figure out why they couldn't turn 10 foot long printer rolls in the current lathe they had
After all the lathe was 8" swing x 36" bed.
Finally, the maintenance machinist quit .
About a year and a half the whole company closed, and it sat full of equipment for 10 years.

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but the wrong people in charge can ruin everything.
Especially when they know nothing about what they are managing.
They hoped that merging with this other company could save them.
After all, this plant manager had ruined the first company.

I worked for a large company years ago.
The owners son was messing around with his neighbor.
She had approached QVC about some potpourri bowls.
She said they could sell for $14 each.
The son promised that we could work them in during spare time.
When we ran them, the wood got into the coolant on our mills.
The RPMs weren't fast enough for a good finish and they had to sand the bowls.
The company lost a lot of money over that.
Be he HAD to be right. He was the owners son.
Finally it was a big deal, and she had signed a contract with QVC for 20,000 bowls.

I don't know what ever happened, but I've seen some crazy stuff from people that should know better, or have better people in charge.

Last edited:
wrong people in charge can ruin everything.
Especially when they know nothing about what they are managing.
agree 100% . I told my new boss right off the bat. "The problem is that I am a mechanical guy. Who works for an electronics company. That is run by software people." Hopefully he understood that. One major issue I have about being managed by people who have no idea what a machine shop is. Is they cannot see that they do not know what a machine shop is. They believe they can do / manage anything. Managers also don't know how electronics work. Or how anything works. But they just keep throwing ideas against the wall and hoping something sticks.

I was once told our company is "just moving farther up stream". Which means, we are just a brand name. Making the deals with the big customer we supply. But we do not actually do anything in house. Or at least that is what they would like. More profit and less risk in just buying from vendor. Slap our name on it and sell to customer.

But I have learned all of these things are out of my control and should not matter to me. I just recently explained to a "co-worker" he is an electronics guy. That this company should be the least important thing in our lives. Sure it is how we provide for our family and we are trying to survive. But no matter what we do. No matter how hard we work or stress or try. The whole thing can be taken down and is completely out of our control. So overall in our lives. This place should not matter. He looked at me funny and said. Well I just have a work ethic. As if to say my attitude means that I do not have work ethic. And maybe I have lost some of that. I will do my job. Work while I am at work. and strive to achieve the goals they give me when they are possible. But beyond that I am 100% done with this place. Going above and beyond is never rewarded. Caring and stressing about the impossible deadlines and killing my self to achieve them gets the same result. And we all may be out of a job soon due to incompatice or some bigger plan that does not involve us being employed here. So in the grand scheme of things I am focusing on keeping my priorities in order. 1. God (if you have one. To each his own) 2. Family 3.Survival 4. Personal relationships .

And no longer will I tie the company I work for to my priority of survival in this world.

100% agree that the scheduling should be done by management. The issue is that management is not going to do that. They simply tell me that they cannot possibly know all the details to figure these things out.

If management does not know all the details to figure these things out, how can they blame others for not accommodating new work orders using meager resources?

If you have a good scheduling tool, it will accurately show your planned workload over a period based on the existing priorities. You will not be blamed for not promising deliveries for new orders when your customers (internal in this case) see Gantt chart of your schedule. Let them fight among themselves by looking at your Gantt chart which shows the truth about what you can do realistically. Otherwise, they may expect miracles from you.

agree 100% . I told my new boss right off the bat. "The problem is that I am a mechanical guy. Who works for an electronics company. That is run by software people." Hopefully he understood that. One major issue I have about being managed by people who have no idea what a machine shop is. Is they cannot see that they do not know what a machine shop is. They believe they can do / manage anything. Managers also don't know how electronics work. Or how anything works. But they just keep throwing ideas against the wall and hoping something sticks.

I was once told our company is "just moving farther up stream". Which means, we are just a brand name. Making the deals with the big customer we supply. But we do not actually do anything in house. Or at least that is what they would like. More profit and less risk in just buying from vendor. Slap our name on it and sell to customer.

But I have learned all of these things are out of my control and should not matter to me. I just recently explained to a "co-worker" he is an electronics guy. That this company should be the least important thing in our lives. Sure it is how we provide for our family and we are trying to survive. But no matter what we do. No matter how hard we work or stress or try. The whole thing can be taken down and is completely out of our control. So overall in our lives. This place should not matter. He looked at me funny and said. Well I just have a work ethic. As if to say my attitude means that I do not have work ethic. And maybe I have lost some of that. I will do my job. Work while I am at work. and strive to achieve the goals they give me when they are possible. But beyond that I am 100% done with this place. Going above and beyond is never rewarded. Caring and stressing about the impossible deadlines and killing my self to achieve them gets the same result. And we all may be out of a job soon due to incompatice or some bigger plan that does not involve us being employed here. So in the grand scheme of things I am focusing on keeping my priorities in order. 1. God (if you have one. To each his own) 2. Family 3.Survival 4. Personal relationships .

And no longer will I tie the company I work for to my priority of survival in this world.
That's the right attitude to have.
I saw something a while back that said "Don't spend extra time working for a company that would be posting for your job replacement, before your funeral had passed".

Back