What's new
What's new

CRT to external VGA/HDMI conversion (GBS 8200)

Idskov

Plastic
Hi.

Although the machine in question is not a CNC it seems to have enough internals in common for it to make sense to ask here.
And hopefully solving the issue will be of use to some with CNC-machines also.

The machine: Hunter L111 Alignment machine
Year: late 80’s to early 90’s
Issue: CRT almost impossible to read. Get’s a bit better after an hour or so powered on.
Irritation: The thing is huge and with very little inside. Waste of space.

Plan: Replace the CRT with a video converter that will allow video to be shown on external LCD (vga) or maybe even the shop tv (hdmi).
This will also allow me to take the mainboard out of the big rolling cabinet and place it in a smaller box out of sight.

Info:
Mainboard video output is an 8-pin connector with 7 leads (orange,yellow,black,blue,green,red,empty,white) going to a 10-pin connector on the CRT board.
Wires red,green,blue is RGB
Yellow seems to be 50hz VSYNC (possitive)
Orange 19.2khz HSYNC (possitive)
White 19.2khz SYNC (combined?) (negative)
Black GND

This layout seems to match some CNC’s of the same era.

I have purchased two video conversion boards. A GBS 8200 (VGA out) and a VC9900 (HDMI out) both are very similar boards with the input side and controls being identical to my eye.

I have hooked up R,G,B,HSYNC,VSYNC,GND to the 10-pin input connector on the GBS 8200 and get a picture on the VGA pc monitor.
But that’s where the good news stop.
The picture does not update and is only showing about 60% of what it should be.
Will try to upload a picture.
Result is the same on the VC9900 and with a different monitor.

Fiddling with the HSYNC-lead (connecting/disconnecting/good connection/bad connection) will sometimes cause it to momentarily show different parts of the input and update the frame for every reconnection.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
I see that a few on the forum have been using GBS 8200 as part of their CRT to LCD conversions so I’m hoping someone has knowledge to share.

Succeeding in this should allow similar machines to utilize basically any monitor or even modern tv out there as a replacement.

You will need an industrial display converter such as DBS8219 in order to handle the 19.2KHz sync signals.
Note that I have no hands on experience with your machine, so I offer no guarantee to you.
However, based on the information you have provided I would imagine you will have success.
Good luck...

Back