What's new
What's new

Current AL 6061 price

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys

Just a sanity check please ...
What is a reasonable average price for 6061 AL rectangle, 1.5" x 3.0" x 144" x 10 length bars,
That's a total weight of #635.
My last quote ( 7 days ago ) was $3.50/#

Is it high? Low? OK? ....
I normally don't give too much shit about prices as the material cost is like 10-15% of the stuff we make, but this time it's just north of 50% and it can make a difference.

Thank You!

P.S: I really am just looking for a High/Low/OK answer, so no need to disclose sources.

DanASM

Hot Rolled
Looks low to me. We probably use the same suppliers in the region.

I am still paying 7.50-9.xx+ for 2024 round bar.

I also read somewhere that many U.S. AL smelters are cutting back to 30% capacity due to electric bills tripling. I am wondering if prices will rise or availability will be scarce.

Strange times we are in.

wrustle

Titanium
Looks low to me. We probably use the same suppliers in the region.

I am still paying 7.50-9.xx+ for 2024 round bar.

I also read somewhere that many U.S. AL smelters are cutting back to 30% capacity due to electric bills tripling. I am wondering if prices will rise or availability will be scarce.

Strange times we are in.
I read this last month about Century Aluminum in Kentucky closing down for nearly a year due to energy costs. Not good....

VTM

Cast Iron
For Plate we're paying between $5.50 and $6.90. For Flat Bar $3.50 For Round just this morning $5.57 although that was for only 100# so that makes it a bit higher. Last time I bought round was 200# at $3.90.

david n

Diamond
'round these parts it's low to mid $3/lb....................I don't even bat an eye................price is what it is and my customers know it and pay it. All they care about is getting parts.

Reactions: VTM

Pete Deal

Stainless
Week before last I got about 1000lb from Alro, various sizes, and it averaged 3.75-$4 per pound. In the past I have noticed that when ordering just a bar without much weight their prices can be more than double.

Once I got a quote from them for a bar or two with little weight. The guy misunderstood me and also added a bar of like 8"x4" or something. When I had him take that big bar off the price of the small one more than doubled.

Last edited:

david n

Diamond
low.
$5/lb for that bar here in MN from CoreMark

for smaller pieces which include a cut charge i pay $6-7/lb recently
I mostly use Midwest, A&C, and EMJ here..............All three are usually within a few ¢'s of each other............if you get the weight up they are around $3.50/lb or so. I normally order a few ton at a time.................

VTM

Cast Iron
I mostly use Midwest, A&C, and EMJ here..............All three are usually within a few ¢'s of each other............if you get the weight up they are around $3.50/lb or so. I normally order a few ton at a time.................
That's Interesting. I usually quote material at three vendors and they are NEVER that close to each other. We're talking a $1,500 difference or more on bigger orders. Just like that round rod I mentioned above C&B which is usually the lowest was the highest at $5.57/lb. By the time I got all three quotes back EMJ was the cheapest at $3.50/lb. And Aff hit it right in the middle of the other two at $4.50.

david n

Diamond
That's Interesting. I usually quote material at three vendors and they are NEVER that close to each other. We're talking a $1,500 difference or more on bigger orders. Just like that round rod I mentioned above C&B which is usually the lowest was the highest at $5.57/lb. By the time I got all three quotes back EMJ was the cheapest at $3.50/lb. And Aff hit it right in the middle of the other two at $4.50.
All three will quote it and all three will be close in price..........I usually end up with whoever has it all in stock at the time of the order................

Halcyon

Plastic
Im paying about $4.50/lb for 6061/63 extrusions and about the same for 5052 and 3003 sheet.

Edit:thats in western USA, 2022