What's new
What's new

Custom Grinding Wheels

PlantManager

Plastic
Our company is looking for some larger width grinding wheels in the following configurations. 10”dia x 10 ½ “ W x 3” inside diameter. Recessed one side 5 ½ X .800 and recessed one side 5 ½ X the 50% rule and 12 ¾ “ wide wheels with same recess needs. We are looking for aluminum oxide wheels in 24 grit and possibly in 46 grit. I have specs from some Norton wheels we have in house. They would be 32A46-I8VBE. These will be used on Brown and Sharp #5’s and an as to yet be determined grinder of a larger capacity. We grind graphite material for the electrical discharge machining industry and also for mechanical applications. I've been looking all over for someone to quote these but no dice. I've tried Norton, Bay State and Cinci. All the big boys to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Have you considered making an aluminum blank, and have it CBN plated?

I just spoke with my supplier of custom plated wheels, and he said diamond is more appropriate for graphite.

I guess much would depend on what else you may need/want to grind.

I have seen and handled graphite but never ground it. I have always assumed it was soft. My first thought was wide belt sander. How tough is this stuff? -Mike

I have seen and handled graphite but never ground it. I have always assumed it was soft. My first thought was wide belt sander. How tough is this stuff? -Mike

It ranges from very soft to relatively hard. In any hardness, it's VERY abrasive and will dull cutters very quickly.

Holescreek,
If he's doing EDM sink burning his tolerances would be .0001's. I not that good with a belt sander ;) I normally use a 60I with no problems but MAKE SURE you have good sucyion as you don't want to be breathing this stuff. On the stuff we do I've never had wheel breakdown so that's not an issue for us. Harder stuff might be different.

Here's a couple of EDM burned pieces. Kevin

Attachments

• MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 308
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 301
Our company is looking for some larger width grinding wheels in the following configurations. 10”dia x 10 ½ “ W x 3” inside diameter. Recessed one side 5 ½ X .800 and recessed one side 5 ½ X the 50% rule and 12 ¾ “ wide wheels with same recess needs. We are looking for aluminum oxide wheels in 24 grit and possibly in 46 grit. I have specs from some Norton wheels we have in house. They would be 32A46-I8VBE. These will be used on Brown and Sharp #5’s and an as to yet be determined grinder of a larger capacity. We grind graphite material for the electrical discharge machining industry and also for mechanical applications. I've been looking all over for someone to quote these but no dice. I've tried Norton, Bay State and Cinci. All the big boys to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

If you can find a suitable unrecessed wheel you can mount it in a lathe and bore the recesses with a mounted diamond. I've done this on smaller wheels and see no reason why it wouldn't be appropriate in your case.
I have dealt with Norton in the distant past and was advised that if I purchased in quantity they would make almost any custom sized wheel.
Gene

Holescreek,
If he's doing EDM sink burning his tolerances would be .0001's. I not that good with a belt sander ;) I normally use a 60I with no problems but MAKE SURE you have good sucyion as you don't want to be breathing this stuff. On the stuff we do I've never had wheel breakdown so that's not an issue for us. Harder stuff might be different.

Here's a couple of EDM burned pieces. Kevin

I don't think he's doing anything to tenths tolerances and with details like yours. Sounds like he's making round stock for EDM suppliers.

Not knowing any better, but could you stack wheels to achieve the desired width? Maybe use some sort of custom made arbor. Make use of a couple shorter ones.
Just a thought. Never tried it and haven't a clue if it would work. The friction between the wheels might keep them from spinning.
Kyle

Re Custom Wheels

Plant Manager
While I have posted on the Antique machinery section a few times this is the first time I noticed this forum .
I am pleased to have found it .
In the Grinding Journal which I receive by mail but is also available on line

http://www.grinding.com/pages/content/grinding_journal.html

I noticed an add for Mach-B Grinding Wheel Shaping and Resizing

http://www.mach-b.com/

I have never done any buisness with them but Perhaps they could be of some help to you .
Regards,
Jim

have you contacted Radiac? they are my favorite abrasive manufacturer. I know they do specials... seen some green silicon carbide special cup wheels they make for a customer.

Back