What's new
What's new

Customer wants to cancel order

Why was the engineer touring your shop at all if he didn't know you had gotten the order?
Sounds like he didn't know the specific job involved until he saw the material.

It might be that the problem is an unethical or illegal relationship between the engineer and the other vendor.

But it is likely that the engineer knows the prints aren't good and parts built to them may not work in the application.

Thanks to all who responded. The customer did end up buying the material. It has been a valuable lesson to me and I “got off cheap”. For some more background, the customer was new to me but was a regular customer of a business I knew and I knew that they ordered parts regularly. I did ask for material costs to be paid up front and submitted the invoice and was under the impression that a check was in the mail when I ordered the material. Next time I will be better prepared for these situations. Waiting to get a check and have it clear would have been best, but part of why I had the job was because I promised a shorter lead time in the first place.
Good news! Glad it worked out.

If you have access to Dun & Bradstreet it's always worth checking their rating to see if there's any negatives that could be cause for concern

Good discussion and advise.

I would add one thing, be more cautious about up-front payments that are paid via a credit card. I worked for a company who used credit card accounts for as much as they could in order to get the airline miles (they had to travel a lot). But the thing about a credit card is the buyer can claim fraud and the bank which issued the card can reverse the payment, even after it has been accepted by your bank.

I would ask for a check or cash from a new customer.

Quoting hours should be considered more as marketing costs for the business and not something to recoup from the given order.

After all there is no guarantee that you will get the job you quote. I've seen plenty of people here suggesting to get quotes from three or more shops/suppliers. How many of you have 100% of your quotes turning into orders?

I kinda miss the basic concept of hiring a goon of a leg breaker to deal with folks that are knowingly welshing on their owed money.

Busy living through a land lease deal where the money just...stopped. One of the principals, seems to think he should be able to hang his name on any of the Company assets, as "His", well before all the bills are paid.

Been...not fun...

At least, some of the assets are here on the property, and they HAVE acknowledged that none will leave until their bill to us is paid out. They had promised a payment schedule, made one payment, then...silence...

They know where to send the cheques to, they done so for the last couple years.

Oddly,there is a bit on telly tonight of a well known business non payer,the guy was once an Olympic Gold Medallist (or two),anyway ,he (and girlfriend) lives in some luxury on other peoples money ,and has done for 40 years or so.

Back