What's new
What's new

Cutting 6" diameter hole in 3/4" rubber mat

I will not know for a week or more. I am moving and I found my smaller hole saws and arbors. I think I have a hole saw of the correct diameter but I have to find it. I will see if I can buy a narrow blade for my oscilating cutter to make short chord cuts to form a circle.
Bill D

I will not know for a week or more. I am moving and I found my smaller hole saws and arbors. I think I have a hole saw of the correct diameter but I have to find it. I will see if I can buy a narrow blade for my oscilating cutter to make short chord cuts to form a circle.
Bill D
I hear hexagons are also a nice shape

It will end up being a N-gon by the time I get it to fit. I suppose any gaps will fill up with chips and dust so it will look like a close fit regardless.
Bill D

To go under I need to cut two six inch diameter holes for the lathe feet pads. I was thinking hole saw or jig saw. Mat is too big and heavy to use a flycutter in the drillpress.
I have used pipes with a sharp inside surface bevel. The pipe section is chucked into a drill press.
At medium speed it passes straight thru with nice smooth surface finish. I can do small jobs using
a 6" Kurt vise with a wood back stop.

On your job I would buy a 6" galvanized pipe nipple 4 inches or longer and a end cap.
Remove the thread on one side of the nipple and sharpen the inside edge with a taper to a sharp edge.
Drill a hole in the center of the cap and weld or bolt on a 1/2" diameter bar about 6" long.
Screw on the cap. Chuck end of bar in drill press. Now you can go through some rubber
Use a plywood base underneath the rubber mat when making the cut.

Last edited:
I have used pipes with a sharp inside surface bevel. The pipe section is chucked into a drill press.
At medium speed it passes straight thru with nice smooth surface finish.

On your job I would buy a 6" galvanized pipe nipple 1-2 inches long and a end cap.
Remove the thread on one side of the nipple and sharpen the inside edge.
Drill a hole in the center of the cap and weld or bolt on a 1/2" bar about 6" long.
Screw on the cap. Chuck end of bar in drill press. Now you can go through some rubber
Use a plywood base underneath the rubber mat when making the cut.
Grind a piece of 6 inch pipe and pound it thru the Matt
Don

I padded the wheelhouse floor on the tug with horse mats. Cut the annoyingness of the 6-71 quite a bit ... a sabre saw worked well to cut the mats. Metal blade worked better than a wood blade. You'd think the coarser blade would work better but at least for me, opposite was true. Circle might not be as pretty as a hole saw but it's easier and faster.

Grind a piece of 6 inch pipe and pound it thru the Matt
Don
Matt would report you to the Poooolice... But Mat would not. :drink:

Pounding would contribute to the edge deforming. Tried it before. Pressing and spinning works better. Especially for the soft metal at the edge of a pipe.

Hole saws work well, i cut a lot of 1” thick rubber and 1/2 conveyor belt. but 6” stuff i just sharpen up a piece of 6” steel casing and use the press usually do about 16 pieces befor i need to regrind the edge. Jig saw for bigger circles and the coarsest blade you can find. I used to use a gasket cutter prettier cut but thats a lot of work.

Back