What's new
What's new

Cutting external dovetails in hardened steel, indexable vs solid carbide?

Dexi for soft jaws.

Custom solid carbide for master jaws, 6-flute with helical geometry. I make my own now.

If I were buying, I'd go with the replaceable heads. Iscar and Ingersoll are both part of IMC Group. There may be overlap in product lines. I don't use their dovetails but their T-slot cutters are good.
Between ChipSurfer, and TopOn, one of them is interchangeable "industry standard" and one of them is proprietary to Ingersoll. Can't remember off hand which is which though.

I just checked them out. It looks like they don't carry any dovetail cutters aside from the picatinny form cutters you linked, and the dovetail feature on my part is not a picatinny rail. I'll definitely keep them in mind for future projects though. Thanks!
You may want to consider a custom grind from them. They have a nice tool builder on their website for submitting quotes. The Gorilla mill name hasn't been around super long but they just came up with that name for marketing purposes. The main grinding company that they are is Carbide Grinding Company and they have been serving Harley Davidson, Snap-on, Milwaukee tool and many others in the midwest for many years.

Last edited:
Between ChipSurfer, and TopOn, one of them is interchangeable "industry standard" and one of them is proprietary to Ingersoll. Can't remember off hand which is which though.
ChipSurfer is their exchangeable headed endmill line up and the Topon is their screw on modular head system. Top on is interchangeable with Combimaster, Flexfit. etc. Chipsurfer is proprietary.

ChipSurfer is their exchangeable headed endmill line up and the Topon is their screw on modular head system. Top on is interchangeable with Combimaster, Flexfit. etc. Chipsurfer is proprietary.
Chipsurfer line does have much more than endmills. Drills, counterbores, engravers, etc. seems redundant to have 2 different lines of essentially the same thing.

Chipsurfer line does have much more than endmills. Drills, counterbores, engravers, etc. seems redundant to have 2 different lines of essentially the same thing.
It's b/c chipsurfer is exchangeable solid carbide heads where as top on is screw in style facemills/shoulder mills etc.

You may want to consider a custom grind from them. They have a nice tool builder on their website for submitting quotes. The Gorilla mill name hasn't been around super long but they just came up with that name for marketing purposes. The main grinding company that they are is Carbide Grinding Company and they have been serving Harley Davidson, Snap-on, Milwaukee tool and many others in the midwest for many years.

Unless I'm mistaken, you've got that kind of backwards.

GWS is the parent company of both Gorilla Mill, and CGI (Carbide Grinding, Inc.). Both were their own companies who were purchased to become subsidiaries under the GWS Toolgroup Umbrella.

That said, GWS and their subsidiaries do make some quite fine custom tooling, and it'd be worth quoting from them.

Back