What's new
What's new

Cutting grooves in EPDM mat

dcash

Plastic
I need to cut a series of straight, smooth grooves 3/16" deep, across a 24" x 48" x 3/8" EPDM sheet.
What's the best tool for a smooth finish?
I'm considering a router with a sharp bit and guide rail, or borrow a tire siping tool and make a custom tip for the required groove profile.
They're 1/2" wide, 3/16" deep on one side and sloping up to the uncut surface on the other side, (sort of a saw-tooth pattern) spaced approximately 1-1/2" apart.
The material is kind of expensive, so I thought I'd run it by the experts before diving in.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave.

+1 for grinding. That's more material than I would be comfortable taking with a form tool all at once without distorting the sheet. Also, whatever you do, don't let any petroleum products near it.

I think I'll buy a small test piece and try the grinder method with guide tracks to control cutting depth and straight alignment, with water based flood coolant to keep the wheel from getting hot and loaded with melted rubber. This will also allow fine tuning the groove profile by wheel dressing the shape (not really super critical). I need to produce 75 to 100 lineal feet of grooves, so speed really isn't a big concern for the one or two off project. I hadn't considered grinding as an option, and it may leave the desired surface finish.
Thanks for the replies.
Dave.

Agree with testing grinding it because of the wheel loading up and possible burning. I have ground small rubber parts with success.
I would consider running it over a roller so as to mill, grind, siping or router with the part better held/confined.
Possible dry ice might make it hard and better to machine, but I have never done that so I know little about it....may make it crack.
Oh ..and I have found that soapy water is a better rubber coolant, likely because it makes the water a little slippery..but it can clog up a wheel with drying, so after use a soapy wheel should be rinsed in clear water.

Last edited:

Back