What's new
What's new

Cylinder Head Remanufacturing

trevj

Titanium
Why not simply doo what you did in Kalifornia ?

Great suggestion.

Brown truck drives up, unloads materials and tools, drops work off, hauls work away.

Depending on how far in the sticks you live, you might not even have to put the stuff in boxes yourself.

It's not like there were a bunch of folks walking down the sidewalk at the old place, that saw your sign, slapped themselves on the forehead, and exclaimed "Oh yeah, I've been wanting a bunch of these made!"

If you could do it there, you can do it about anywhere... No?

Milland

Diamond
OP's not been heard from since, well, the OP. Either something else caught his attention (Squirrel!), or he's gotten the answers he was looking for.

[Maybe he really was a "henchman", and The Batman got him?]

CarbideBob

Diamond
It freaks me out when I am walking across a parking lot trying not to walk behind a car ready to back up, then someone starts moving without any sound whatsoever. Doubt I will ever get used to that.

Now we are off OP topic by a major bit so .....
Don't most cars have have backup lights? Those things that turn on if the gear selector in go backwards?
In line at a ATM and the guy in front went a bit to far forward and backed up inches to the window.
Now with foot on the brake doing his/her transaction with those lights on. Will the driver remember last move when done with the ATM?
Often thoughts here are getting my money, my balance, my needed house payment or all the stuff punched in so the last gear select maybe lost.
If room allows I back up a bit as have seen such touch the gas and go "oh-shit" wrong gear for driving out.
Same thing in parking lots, a big warning sign noise or not and so often they don't see you walking out back.

I have done the backup wrong and my bad more than once.
Perhaps people flip you off or fist bang the side or back of the car and I accept it as deserving it and schooled.

More on topic is how tight is the valve stem height a matter. .002, ,010, ,020?
Cylinder hone and ring seat? Production motors never get fired up until drive off in a finished auto and they sure as heck must pass all emissions standards at first start.
There is no break-in cycle anymore in this world. Fires, works, seals.
This maybe a plus for "crate" motors.
Head, block whatever rebuild shops vary from 1960 to 2020 tech and quality.

A good shop would think about giving a 100,000 or equal hours warranty on work done as most basic made new will do 2 to 3 times that.
Then who knows the use. Valve springs in a high rev pro car are only good for a month or two at best before power drops.

I have not seen many make money in the rebuild world. I think this tough at the basic level but a niche can be wonderful and very good life.
For sure it is possible to make the six-figures plus in this world.
Bob

john.k

Diamond
The golden age of cylinder head work was the 70s,80s and 90s when alloy heads became common ,but owners didnt see the need to stop topping up radiators every week from the tapwater.....Every shop had their methods of equalizing warp from welding up corroded gasket faces...And OEM heads were thousands .......now OEM heads are still thousands,but a just as good(or better) Chinese head is around $250 US.......When my MLS gasket started to leak in the pickup ,I could have had my old head done,but opted for a new ,complete Chinese head,delivered next day .....rather than the week and a dozen calls to the head shop to find out if mine was done.

Garwood

Diamond
There's a shop in Portland that specializes in cast iron welding. They vee out the cracks, heat the cast parts up to near molten and TIG them up with iron filler rod. The cost isn't bad and they seem pretty busy. Once everything is machined again you can't tell it was cracked. They do a lot of ag and heavy truck heads.

When I was a teenager I sat in on a dyno session for a BOSS 429 that was built of numbers matching parts scrounged up from all over. The block was windowed and cracked from freezing water. Must have sat in a scrap pile for decades. It was brazed back together and boy did it have a lot of cracks. Once it was in Ford blue you couldn't tell though. Whomever did the repairs was a real craftsman. That real Boss 429 put down like 800 horseponies too. Everyone in the shop was holding their tongues just right hoping that block didn't come apart on the power runs.

Oldwrench

Titanium
The article about electric cars being required to make sound over 43 dB below 18mph? Wow, talk about the Law of Unintended Consequences!

So, instead of that hot-dog-cart project maybe one of our enterprising members could invent a system to broadcast car noise thru a fake exhaust pipe. BMW was caught playing a healthy exhaust note in the passenger compartment from a hidden speaker to enhance their driving experience, so it's not a unique concept.

How 'bout hearing a nice loud funny-car cackle from a Prius? Cognitive dissonance defined...

kustomizingkid

Titanium
The golden age of cylinder head work was the 70s,80s and 90s when alloy heads became common ,but owners didnt see the need to stop topping up radiators every week from the tapwater.....Every shop had their methods of equalizing warp from welding up corroded gasket faces...And OEM heads were thousands .......now OEM heads are still thousands,but a just as good(or better) Chinese head is around $250 US.......When my MLS gasket started to leak in the pickup ,I could have had my old head done,but opted for a new ,complete Chinese head,delivered next day .....rather than the week and a dozen calls to the head shop to find out if mine was done.

Lol just as good as.

DDoug

Diamond
The article about electric cars being required to make sound over 43 dB below 18mph? Wow, talk about the Law of Unintended Consequences!

So, instead of that hot-dog-cart project maybe one of our enterprising members could invent a system to broadcast car noise thru a fake exhaust pipe. BMW was caught playing a healthy exhaust note in the passenger compartment from a hidden speaker to enhance their driving experience, so it's not a unique concept.

How 'bout hearing a nice loud funny-car cackle from a Prius? Cognitive dissonance defined...

I think the "Ice cream truck" sound would be good...:D

Cyclotronguy

Stainless
The ONLY time I ever made money on farm equipment was making OEM parts for Cat Challenger's. Agri-business buys new or leases. If you get something worn out to repair it's only because there is no OEM Support or time / money is tight and you're salvaging worn out parts and someone is trying to bring crops in before spoilage ruins the day.

And remember farmers only get paid when goods go to market, and for many there is only one cash crop a year!

TeachMePlease

Diamond

The latest software update to the new Teslas lets you replace your horn sound with any sound file you like, with 6 presets. They also have a pedestrian alert system that's basically an outside the cabin PA system (the car can warn pedestrians to get out of the way) that you can now play music over (not sure if that's allowed while driving or only while parked).

Demon69

Titanium
In particular for the folks who walk out into the road avoiding others without looking up. Do we have a 'death with electric car' statistic? :scratchchin:

Hbjj

Cast Iron
On the subject of seat grinding...what is the seat grinder that the grinding wheel rotates around a eccentric spindle in the guide pilot and grinds one small spot as it rotates.....Kent Moore made them ,but Ive also see a smaller Italian made one......I picked up a radial engine one with a very long spindle from a hoarder who used to scrap WW2 airplanes.

Waterbury hail
I have one
needs a good going through (it runs but sounds like it has a dry bearing and it needs a new cord)

For sale if you want it

Hbjj

Cast Iron
There are some sparks from one of the brushes and a noisy bearing but it runs and looks complete

Make an offer
20210119_082154.jpg20210119_082215.jpg20210119_082343.jpg20210119_082349.jpg20210119_082622.jpg
Sorry about the sideways photos