What's new
What's new

Cylindrical mapping on a Fanuc?

JTknives

Plastic
I have just set up my robodrill T14iA and have a question. I am going to need to do some cylindrical mapping and engrave words on a round part. I know on the haas I run I can just call out cylindrical mapping and then tell it the radius of the bar and it converts Y movement into A axis angle rotation. My question is this, is there any way to do this on a robodrill. The control is a 16i-M and has macros but I have never messed with programing a macro. Just looking for some tips. I mean I could long hand it and calculate each move but I need a way to just type in a text engraving line and go. I'm needing to engrave serial numbers on round parts. Thanks so much for your help.

I have never seen a feature like that on any Fanuc control. I wish they did. However, you can do cylindrical engraving/cutting using G07.1 . This will allow you use conventional X,Y coordinates and have them cut about a cylinder. This may not be a standard g code on Robodrill so you'll have to check that first. There are rules to using it and it's all defined in the manuals. Also look up G07.1 online and you should get plenty of info to get you started.

I have just set up my robodrill T14iA and have a question. I am going to need to do some cylindrical mapping and engrave words on a round part. I know on the haas I run I can just call out cylindrical mapping and then tell it the radius of the bar and it converts Y movement into A axis angle rotation. My question is this, is there any way to do this on a robodrill. The control is a 16i-M and has macros but I have never messed with programing a macro. Just looking for some tips. I mean I could long hand it and calculate each move but I need a way to just type in a text engraving line and go. I'm needing to engrave serial numbers on round parts. Thanks so much for your help.

Fanuc's G07.1, Cylindrical Interpolation, is the equivalent to the HAAS Cylindrical Mapping. Effectively, the cylindrical surface of the part is unwrapped for the purpose of programming and the part program created as if for a flat surface. G07.1 is an optional feature; accordingly, your control may or may not have this function.

Regards,

Bill

Fanuc's G07.1, Cylindrical Interpolation, is the equivalent to the HAAS Cylindrical Mapping. Effectively, the cylindrical surface of the part is unwrapped for the purpose of programming and the part program created as if for a flat surface. G07.1 is an optional feature; accordingly, your control may or may not have this function.

Regards,

Bill

So I can just turn it on by calling out g7.1 and then after that I post my code that would engrave a flat surface? Does the g7.1 get the radius call out?

So I can just turn it on by calling out g7.1 and then after that I post my code that would engrave a flat surface? Does the g7.1 get the radius call out?

Cylindrical Interpolation is turned on by the following block:
G07.1 <Rotary Axis Name> <Radius of the workpiece>
Metric Example
G07.1 A100000 (A100.000 No decimal point is allowed in this call out block)
Machining data goes here
G07.1 A0 (cancels Cylindrical Interpolation)

You have to set in parameter the linear axis that is parallel to the rotary axis being used. With a VMC with an A axis, the linear axis set can be either Y or Z.

Circular Interpolation is no problem. However, only the R address can be used. Cutter radius compensation is also available, and is implemented in the same way as for conventional machining on a flat surface.

There is another Thread in this Forum where I’ve explained Cylindrical Interpolation in detail. I’m not sure of the link.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:

Back