What's new
What's new

D4 Programming Question

rimcanyon

Diamond
I often run into a situation where I am doing repetitive operations, like boring the throats of multiple carburetors setup on the FP2NC table. The workspace on the FP2NC is perfect for four carburetors, so I have 8 throats to bore. The program gets edited with 8 sets of coordinates, so it's a simple go to x1,y1, bore, repeated for each bore.

About a third of the time the first bore does not clean up the gouging and wear so I need to do a second pass with a different boring head set for the next size. However, I haven't found an easy way to program the second pass. e.g. I would like to specify that carburetors 2 and 3 need a second pass, so I go in and modify the program by deleting boring operations 1,2,7&8. I would like to make it easier, i.e. use a parameter to specify which operations to do each pass, but there are no booleans or conditionals in Dialog4. So maybe there is a way to get around that? Looking for ideas and examples from the Dialog4 experts.

I can think of one way, but it's dumb and inefficient because it always runs the second pass but only cuts metal when necessary. Assign one parameter for each of the 8 locations. The parameter is either the full depth or, say, 0.001 depth of the second bore.

Here's another possibility that I have no way of testing anymore. It depends on whether you are allowed to use a parameter to point to a block number: Nxxx, with xxx set by a parameter. If so, you could use L0 to jump to Nxxx, where Nxxx either starts pass #2 or jumps over it. You'd need 8 parameter values, one for each carb.

Don’t have a programming solution for you.
Really don’t see a way to automate what you are doing because you have to inspect the initial bore and then choose which to overbore
I am assuming you are boring the throats, then fitting oversize throttle plates.
Question is why not standardize on an oversize that corrects all the worn throats in the first go, that way you only need to have one size of throttle plate.

That or come up with a gauging setup to group the plates by oversize requirements. Then run all of one group at the same time.

In a past life I did carbs , bored close, finish on the hone might be a more efficient way to correct the more worn bodies.

Maybe this is a good use for that NCT400.
Set it up as a rotary and locate each carb as a quadrant. Then overbores just need to call the rotary position.
Maybe a Macro.
Cheers Ross

Back