What's new
What's new

Daewoo/Doosan Puma 230MSB Turret Servo Drive Error

pdexter1210

Aluminum
We've been having a bit of an intermittent error on one of our Puma 230MSB's. The alarm code is ALP-OU, which according to the book is an over voltage alarm, caused by too high of an input voltage, or regenerative resistor failure. The input legs to the servo drive measure 241-242V across each leg so the variance is minor. The high leg measures 208V to ground and is located on L1. The wiring is exactly the same, as are the measurements, to our other Puma 230MSB sitting right next to this one.

As I said, the problem is intermittent, some days it works fine, others it won't start at all. Of course this week we need it to run and it's fussing with us, so I'd like to get the problem addressed. The Servo drive itself says 200-230V rating (on both Puma's). Is it possible that the input voltage of 241V is enough in excess of the 230V drive rating that it's causing this intermittent issue?

I had that alarm intermittently on a machine for a long time, Fanuc beta amp, red cap motor with absolute pulse coder. Went through the regen circuitry with a fine tooth comb, and monitored the power carefully. After replacing the drive twice the problem turned out to be an encoder cable. It had hardened and split and lying in coolant and oil at the bottom of a cable chain.

It's a Pro Motion Drive, model DASD-CT15SPXD-05. No cables sitting in coolant. The reason I believe it's at the servo drive, and not anywhere in the cabling or the turret motor itself, is that the servo LED screen will intermittently not power up when the power is turned on to the machine. The drive seems to be powering up, the fan runs, etc. but the screen (at times) does not power on. Sometimes it does. Today happens to be a day when it does power up, but shows the over voltage alarm. We'll probably come in on Monday and it will likely work just fine. Little frustrating.

If you have a duplicate machine, just swap the drive between machines and see if the error follows. You may have to reset the home position.

I also had intermittent problems with a Pro vision unit on a Puma 2000sy. It turned out to be a weak back up battery.
Replace the battery, just be sure to replace as the machine is powered up.

Interesting thought there. We were having trouble with the drive losing it's memory so I replaced the backup battery a couple months ago. Doesn't make sense to me that the LED screen wouldn't power up because of this, but then again, there has been little rhythm or reason to some of the issues on this machine.

Back