What's new
What's new

Dampened external turning

texasmci

Plastic
I need to turn a part that has a 3/8 diameter stem that is 6" long using with a live center.
My experience is that its going to chatter like crazy.
I have a dampened bore bar and it works great, but I am wondering if there dampened tools for external turning.

I looked online, and found nothing.

Has anyone found dampened external turning holders?

Has anyone found dampened external turning holders?

Yah, it's called a follow rest.

You are misunderstanding the problem. Damped boring bars work because the bar itself is vibrating. External tools don't vibrate, it's the work that is vibrating. So you damp them with a follow rest.

Manual machining you can attempt to hold a lead hammer against the part, almost never works but we try it anyhow, just in case. Basically a waste of time but hope springs eternal.

If you have an Okuma lathe you can look into the Machining Navi option, it automatically removes chatter.
Haven't used it personally but that's what it's designed to do.

Proper rake angles and sharpness are an asset to less chatter. For grinding and some lathe work a big fat wad of children's modeling clay on the part will dampen vibration/chatter. A steady rest with some oiled felt wipers on the part can be good.
Downward turning toward the bed/saddle with a nylon standing v block (riding V) can work, so the part can not deflect away from cutting forces.

Last edited:

Back