What's new
What's new

De commisioning Mitsubishi FA 20 before shipping

RJT

Titanium
I was shocked at the price quoted to do this. Must be a whole lot more involved that I could imagine, or they get a real premium to do it. Is it something I should attempt?

I only have 50 years experience as a tool maker, so I'm still learning ;-) . Problem resolved, the buyer is sending their tech to de commission the machine. MC Machinery wanted 5K to do it (don't know how much of that was travel expenses) . Lots of cables and hoses to keep track of and I've never done it, but I didn't want the liability of disconnecting something improperly to void the sale.

Hi RJT:
That is absolutely nuts!
Disconnecting a wire EDM from its control and dielectric system and then bolting the table to the head with the shipping bracket that came with the machine is not that difficult...I've done it twice with a Sodick A320 and 5 times with my Chmer if you include putting it all back together too.
If I had to drop five grand every time, I'd be pissed!

Photos of what you're taking apart and tape labels on the cables and hoses are your friends...so is being organized and methodical about it.
If you do that, it takes about half a day.

Yeah, Mitsi's are well liked by the people who own them, but the predatory practices of the dealers around service reminds me of the Swiss and Germans; crazy prices and shoddy service too.
I've heard other horror stories about Mits service...is it true they won't even talk to you or sell you parts until they've gouged you with some sort of bullshit "Enrollment Fee" or is that another manufacturer I'm mistaking for the Mits boys?

Whoever it is, it's like wallet rape to me....much like 5 grand to disconnect a machine and ready it for shipping.
I shake my head!

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Marcus,
I can't comment on non Mits user support. We have had Mits wire EDMs for 32 years (several different upgrades along the way). Applications always top notch. When we had a local distributor and service, it was great. Now it all comes from Chicago, so service is OK but really expensive, partly because of travel expense. Our latest Fanuc wire is every bit as accurate and reliable, and I get great local service and applications. Auto thread works 99.9% of the time.

5k wow. Yeah I don't blame you for questioning that, but yes their travel fee is expensive, but I think everyone's is...

Last edited:

Back