What's new
What's new

De-magnetizing bar stock.

In a pinch you could mount a small magnet on a shaft with the poles at a right angle to the shaft's axis. Spin the gadget near the bar with a power drill and go back and forth near the bar gradually increasing the distance from the bar. I think that would simulate the action of a regular de-magnetizer. Sure would not want to do that on many bars. Might be easier to order one and have it there tomorrow if you have a lot to do.
If one had an old broken solenoid, it could probably be modified to work as a demagnetizer.

The stator from an electric motor makes a good demag. Hook 2 leads up to 120v. Pass bar stock through. You must also move bar stock several inches away before unplugging/turning off demag. Set up stock guides as necessary for your task.

You can do the same thing with a coil of welding leads, welder set to AC, welder on, and leads shorted.

I saw this on a home shop forum. Bolt a large washer to any size bolt 2" or so long. Then place 4 small circular magnets space at right angles. Spin the washer in a drill , hold tool etc near the washer. Most of the time the swarf falls off. When it doesn't, swipe the tool with a brush and the swarf is gone.
I bought a small plastic tube of rare earth magnets for under $3.00. 10magnets in the tube.
Harbor freight has these magnets.
I demagnetize drills, end mills etc, I applied a drop of airplane glue to each magnet and place them on the washer..
I have not tried it on bar stock but should work.

The stator from an electric motor makes a good demag. Hook 2 leads up to 120v. Pass bar stock through. You must also move bar stock several inches away before unplugging/turning off demag. Set up stock guides as necessary for your task.

You can do the same thing with a coil of welding leads, welder set to AC, welder on, and leads shorted.
Wow, that sounds easy. We all have fan motors lying around that have stiff bearings. Pull one out of the scrap pile.

I tried that once using the outer windings of a 120v universal motor. The motor windings started smoking within about 10 seconds after plugging it in. The windings could not handle the current without the armature. Didn't work for shit. I ended up buying a real demag off PM and it's been working fine.

Back