What's new
What's new

Dean Smith Grace Lathe Owners

According to a copy of an original print I have the machines with D1-8 have a taper of 1/4" per foot and the earlier DSG fixing is 1:20 both with a diameter of 2.875" at the big end.

3/4" per foot seems awfully steep for tooling use.
My spindle is fast-lock so maybe that is the difference, it measures out to 3/4” per foot.

Hi Chaps

I’m halfway through refurbishment of my 13-42 DSG and was wondering if someone could advise me on the best approach to remove the clutch ? I have borrowed a picture from a previous poster as it’s identical to mine . Any advice welcome

Chris 1AB0B24D-883F-4CBC-A9A9-F44506C44F73.jpeg

Hi. Can someone tell me or show me a picture of where the carriage stop on a type 17 goes? My lathe didn't come with one. Found a picture of one https://dsg31662.wordpress.com/ . Doesn't look too hard to a manufacture but where is it attached on the machine? Thanks

Finally got my 1959 Type 17 running under power. The reverse rotation is via the Red settings on the speed cone, which isn't available for all speeds. I would like to fit a switch which would swap two of the phases of the power feed to provide an electrical reverse. If the switch goes before the power enters the machine, there would be no chance of reversing the machine when it's rotating as the contactor relays would release during the 'break before make' changeover.
52618070600_7e337cc697_z.jpg

My question is, would reversing the rotation of the spindle in this way cause other issues; the pump lubrication and/or Croft clutch are two that I've thought of as possibilities.

I put a reversing switch on my 13-42 (see pics in first post on this thread) and it works fine. I regularly plug the motor and there are no problems. Three phase motors can reverse at full torque. I use it when I am tapping and need to back out the tap.
I actually just moved the switch as it had been added years before but was completely useless being on the back side of the headstock.
The brake on a three phase motor is just an electronic pulse to slow the motor by utilizing the unique and very handy feature of three phase motors.

According to a copy of an original print I have the machines with D1-8 have a taper of 1/4" per foot and the earlier DSG fixing is 1:20 both with a diameter of 2.875" at the big end.

3/4" per foot seems awfully steep for tooling use.
Just checked the taper on my Type 17 which has the D1-8 mount. The internal taper is definitely 1 in 20. I've also seen a drawing that showed 1/4" per foot, but I think that actually refers to the short D1-8 taper

I put a reversing switch on my 13-42 (see pics in first post on this thread) and it works fine. I regularly plug the motor and there are no problems. Three phase motors can reverse at full torque. I use it when I am tapping and need to back out the tap.
I actually just moved the switch as it had been added years before but was completely useless being on the back side of the headstock.
The brake on a three phase motor is just an electronic pulse to slow the motor by utilizing the unique and very handy feature of three phase motors.
Thanks for that, does seem an obvious solution, especially for tapping screwcutting etc. but seems strange that DSG went to all that trouble to just provide a mechanical reverse on certain speeds.

Stueee,
My machine is older and has no mechanical reverse of the spindle. I can reverse the leadscrew but not while running. I forgot to check if the oil is flowing when I have it in reverse. Probably doesn’t matter given it is in reverse for such a short time.
I am sure DSG had a very good reason and hopefully someone will chime in who knows as there are some very knowledgeable DSG experts here.

For sale . 17 X 96 dean smith and Grace . This machine is fully functional but with some wear to the bed. It is located in Dartmouth Nova Scotia Price is $6000 Canadian 0r $4500U.S.The lathe is still under power and In person inspection is welcome .Shipping is the responsibility of the purchaser But I will help to arrange in any way I can .The lathe will be skidded for shipment and loaded on a Truck for free 2023-01-11 13.39 (2).jpg2023-01-11 13.39.jpg2023-01-11 13.40.jpg

I came to do some thread cutting on my DSG 17 for the first time and found that it had been set up for metric pitches 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8,16 and it did not come with the original gear set. After contacting DSG and failing to get a response I phoned a reasonably local gear cutter I know. They produced the 50 T 12DP 14.5 degree P.A. gear in two working days for the lo cost of £65 so if anyone is in need of change wheels I can highly recommend giving Nik at Phoeniks Gears in Kirton near Boston, Lincolnshire a call. Its a proper Son and Father shop with some fantastic old gear cutting kit that goes back to the 40's.

DSG 17 X 72 for sale in Vancouver, BC
$3000 CAD.
The ways are quite worn and its missing the gap bed, but everything works well and can be seen running
Craigslist add:

PXL_20230322_003947753 - 21.jpgPXL_20230322_003917002 - 21.jpgPXL_20230322_003930320 - 21.jpgPXL_20230322_003925010 - 1.jpg

Back